Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 at 07:30 AM


League One bound Peterborough United withstood a late Brentford onslaught to hold on for a 2-1 win at Griffin Park.

Aaron McLean gave the visitors the lead early on and Craig Mackail-Smith added a second soon after half time.

Alan Connell pulled one back soon after but The Bees could not find the goal they needed to share the spoils.

The game came to life immediately, Peterborough playing fine one-touch football at times but Brentford refusing to give them the time and space to be really effective.

The first half chance fell to the hosts and Glenn Poole could have scored when he volleyed wide from ten yards after Connell had nodded the ball into his path.

Josh Low had a better chance at the other end when he exchanged passes with Mackail-Smith but Simon Brown was able to save his low shot and the opening goal wasn't long in coming.

The visitors were allowed far too much space on the right hand side when Low fed Claude Gnakpa and he picked out McLean with a fine cross, the unmarked striker headed powerfully home from eight yards.

Brentford fought back and pressurised their high-flying opponents, Connell curled a free-kick narrowly wide then turned and fired over from a Poole knock down before Nathan Elder headed narrowly over.

The home side were beginning to get the upper hand, Connell forced Joe Lewis into a save from a free kick and the Peterborough stopper tipped a looping Alan Bennett header over the top just before the break.

From the resulting corner Elder failed to make decent contact and soon after the re-start Craig Stone fired over from the edge of the box.

The visitors were still dangerous, Micah Hyde bobbled a shot wide, Brown had to produce a brilliant save from a Mackail-Smith header to keep The Bees in it and McLean shot narrowly wide soon after before Low forced another save from the Brentford keeper.

Peterborough made their pressure count just before the hour mark when Mackail-Smith raced clear from a McLean flick and finished well.

But Brentford came straight back into it when Connell picked up a Ryan Dickson pass, turned well and fired in to the far corner, via a deflection off Chris Westwood.

The Bees began to feel there was something for them, Dickson fired a free kick over, Poole forced Lewis into a low save and then fired over soon after.

The visitors had chances to wrap the game up, George Boyd fired over and Mackail-Smith lashed wide when well placed but Brentford thought they had won a penalty late in the piece when Craig Morgan appeared to handle the ball inside his penalty area but nothing was given.

The Bees continued to battle but could not find the crucial equalising goal and the visitors left with the points, even missing a chance to make it three when Brown saved from Mackail-Smith after a fine late break.

Brentford: Brown; Pead, Bennett, Osborne, Dickson; Shakes, Stone (sub Mousinho 75 mins), Smith, Poole; Connell, Elder

Subs (not used): Hamer, Charles, Reid, W. Brown

Bookings: Osborne (79 mins) (fourth of season)

Peterborough United: Lewis; Gnakpa, Westwood, Morgan, Day; Low (sub Newton 89 mins), Hyde (sub Lee 72 mins), Keates, Boyd; Mackail-Smith, McLean

Subs (not used): McKeown, Blackett, Hatch

Bookings: Morgan (39 mins), Mackail-Smith (84 mins)

Attendance: 4,049 (675 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports