Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Mar 08 at 18:03 PM


Brentford slumped to another defeat at Christie Park, despite chucking everything at Morecambe. The game was slow to get moving with no real action of note until the 10th minute when a nice passing move on the left between Gary Smith and Glenn Poole was put through for Ryan Dickson, however he failed to stop it going out for a goal kick. Brentford continued to pressurise the home team and on 15 minutes probably should have taken the lead. From a Morecambe corner captain Karleigh Osborne came away with the ball, running the full length of the pitch before feeding through to a surging John Mousinho. Mousinho put a cross into the centre but unfortunately for the Bees Alan Connell had worked himself into an offside position.Nathan Elder was to win a free kick on the edge of the area on the 17th minutes as he was floored by the Morecambe keeper Jamie Davies.No danger was to come of the kick which was easily gathered by the keeper. Brentford were beginning to find their feet and dominate the game and in the 24th minute another chance went begging as a Poole ball back to Dickson was crossed into the area, but an outstretched leg from Connell was unable to connect and as a result Morecambe cleared for a corner.Simon Brown had his first save to make in the 25th minute as a clearance by Poole found the ever threatening Garry Thompson who took too much time in getting his shot away. This was to start a resurgence from the home team as Morecambe began to threaten and cause the Bees defence problems. It was Thompson involved again on 26 minutes when his cross was met by the equally impressive Matthew Blinkhorn, whose header was too sail over. A similar move in the 31st minute was too see the first goal of the game. It was Thompson again who was creating all the chances for the home team and his cross was met by Drummond whose header found a way past the diving Brown.The goal was to spark Brentford who had gone quiet back into life. Osei Sankofa was to put in a cross on the 32nd minute that was headed out for a corner by the Morecambe defender. From the resulting corner Brentford were to be awarded a penalty by referee Mr Beeby, as Elder was pulled back. It was Poole who stepped up to take the penalty, and it was struck low and not very powerfully and was comfortably saved by the diving Davies in the Morecambe goal.Brentford however did not let their heads drop and continued to pressurise and create chances. Elder was too have a tame shot comfortably saved in the 34th minute before Connell also had a shot gathered. Elder was to be rewarded for his perseverance in the 41st minute as he got his second goal since signing for the Bees.A poor free kick by Dickson was picked up by Gary Smith whose resulting ball in the box was headed down by Osborne for Elder to hit sweetly on the volley past the flailing Davies.It was no less than Brentford deserved and they looked to go into the half time break ahead when on 45 minutes Ricky Shakes rode a couple of challenges to see his shot blocked by the charging defender.

The second half failed to start with the same momentum that the first had finished. Morecambe were to have the first effort of note as Carl Baker played through a ball to Thompson who in turn ran through to slot past the on coming Brown to make it 2-1 to Morecambe. Once again the home team scoring seemed to ignite the visitors and Brentford began to take a hold of the game once more.Mousinho should have done better with a header on the 54th minute, before a Glenn Poole looped shot came back off of the post on the 57th.The 64th minute was too see the first sub of the game as Garry Hunter replaces Carl Baker, who had picked up a knock in the build up to Morecambe's second goal.Dickson was too receive a yellow card on the 73rd minute for a foul on Thompson. The resulting free kick was well caught by Brown on the line as he was pressured by two Morecambe attackers. Brentford were too find the back of the net through Connell on the 73rd minute only for it too be ruled offside. With timing running out Andy Scott made a double substitution with the returning Kevin O'Connor replacing Mousinho, and Wayne Brown coming on for Shakes. This was proceeded by Sammy MacIlroy replacing Michael Twiss with Wayne Curtis, in the 80th minute and Jon Newby for Matthew Blinkhorn in the 85th. Morecambe were to break out of their half and extend their lead in the 88th minute as the substitute Hunter's header looped into the top corner of the goal as Brown looked on. With the score at 3-1 and time all but over Brentford replaced Sankofa with Reid, however it was too little too late with Reid not having ample time to have an impact. Brentford were to see two other chances go begging in the dying seconds with Davies saving well from Brown and Connell chipping over, but it wasn't too be Brentfords day and despite hitting the post twice and having three goals ruled out for numerous reasons the Bees were to lose 3-1 to a more clinical Morecambe side.

Attendance 2180 (Bees fans 383)

Morecambe: Davies; Yates, McStay, Bentley, Adams; Thompson, Sorvel, Drummond, Baker; Twiss, Blinkhorn

Subs : Jalal, Artell, Hunter, Curtis, Newby

Bookings: Adams (35 mins)

Brentford: Brown; Sankofa, Bennett, Osborne, Dickson; Shakes, Mousinho, Smith, Poole; Connell, Elder

Subs : Hamer, Charles, Reid, W. Brown, O'Connor

Bookings: Connell, Dickson

Attendance: 2180

Written by David Enstone

    Latest Match Reports