Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 28 Apr 08 at 10:54 AM


Brentford's home campaign ended with a defeat as they went down 3-0 to League One bound Hereford United at Griffin Park. Andy Scott made four changes to the side that lost at Lincoln. Ben Hamer replaced Simon Brown in goal, with Craig Pead, Ricky Shakes and Karleigh Osborne all getting starts ahead of John Mousinho, Matt Heywood and the injured Nathan Elder. There were few chances of note in the opening quarter of an hour. Shakes found himself bearing down on goal on fourteen minutes, only to be judged offside, before Hereford took the lead with pretty much their first attack of note at the other end. A flick on broke through the Bees defence and Gary Hooper took the ball in his stride, and despite Hamer's best efforts, rolled the ball into the bottom corner. Hamer then saved comfortably from Ben Smith before Glenn Poole's free-kick hit the wall at the other end. Hamer then produced a brilliant save to deny Clint Easton the chance to double his side's lead, tipping the Hereford striker's rasping drive onto the post. . Poole then tried his luck again, this time with a smart left-footed shot from long-range that flew just wide of Hereford goalkeeper Wayne Brown's goal. Brentford were looking for a way back into the game, and came close when Gary Smith exchanged passes with Shakes and fired his shot just wide of the target, before a controversial decision by referee Mr Mathieson triggered a bizarre three minutes of football. Following a long ball into the Brentford box, Alan Bennett was harshly judged to have fouled Easton in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot without hesitation. Theo Robinson stepped up and placed his penalty into the bottom corner, but the celebrations of the away supporters were muted when Mr Mathiseon ordered a re-take, presumably due to encroachment. Robinson put his second penalty in the same place, but this time Hamer guessed correctly and saved to his left, holding onto the ball at the second attempt. Hamer then cleared quickly looking for the run of Alan Connell, but the ball went out for a throw in. From the resulting play, Kevin O'Connor's attempted pass to Bennett found its way all the way through to Robinson, who put his miss behind him to casually round Hamer, take a touch, and fire emphatically into the far corner from six yards, despite Bennett's presence on the goal line. Hamer had to be alert at the start of the second half to deny Hooper, before Connell's free header from ten yards was easily saved by Brown. John Mousinho replaced Gary Smith, who appeared to be injured on 55 minutes. A couple of minutes later Hooper found space in the box but couldn't direct his shot goalwards before Brentford started to exert some pressure of their own. Firstly Shakes latched onto Pead's pass but shot straight at Brown, before Connell saw his brilliant acrobatic effort from twenty yards land just the wrong side of the crossbar. Robinson then shot wide when clear on goal having escaped the attentions of Osborne, before Shakes fired over from the edge of the box. Brentford were working hard and should have pulled one back when Poole mis-cued from six yards when a cross from Shakes found its way through a melee of defenders, and shortly after Poole sliced his shot wide following a decent knock-down from Connell. Andy Scott introduced Matt Heywood for Craig Pead with twelve minutes remaining, and pushed him straight up front as the Bees looked to see what they could do to try and halt the away side's promotion plans. Heywood's presence was felt immediately as he won a series of headers and flick-ons, and Shakes again went close, volleying powerfully over from a Poole corner. The Bees continued to create chances, but without sufficiently threatening Brown in the Hereford goal. Shakes couldn't quite latch onto a Mousinho cross following a clever pass from Wayne Brown, before Ryan Dickson fired a free-kick just over, and Poole shot straight at the Bull's keeper from the edge of the box. One Wayne Brown then denied another, the away keeper superbly tipping over a dipping shot from the youngster on loan from Fulham. Hereford were holding on and with their supporters anxiously looking at their watches, sealed the win in injury time. Glenn Poole's brilliantly struck 25 yards free-kick cannoned off the crossbar, and from a long clearance in the resulting play, Hooper flew down the right hand side unchallenged. As he entered the box he rolled the ball across to substitute Simon Johnson, whose shot from six yards found the net via deflections from Hamer and then Bennett who wasn't quite able to clear. With Stockport failing to avoid defeat at Barnet, that sealed three points, and subsequently promotion for United, to the obvious delight of their travelling support. Brentford: Ben Hamer; Pead (Heywood 78), Osborne, Bennett, Dickson; Wayne Brown, O'Connor, Smith (Mousinho 55), Poole; Connell, Shakes   Subs (not used) : Seb Brown, Sankofa, Reid Written by Matt Davis

    Latest Match Reports