Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 09 Sep 07 at 19:10 PM


Brentford slipped to their first league defeat of the season thanks to a late penalty from Jermaine Easter, moments after an unfortunate red card for Sammy Moore.

The game was evenly poised at 0-0 with quarter of an hour remaining when referee Hall became the centre of attention, dismissing Moore for second bookable offence.

The young midfielder might have considered himself a little unlucky to be booked after half an hour when he went in for a challenge on Tom Williams and failed to make contact but was booked for the intent of the tackle.

And Mr Hall roused great anger among the visiting players when he showed Moore a second yellow card for simulation when he appeared to have had his heels clipped by Sergio Torres.

But Moore had to go and Wycombe made the extra man count, winning a penalty with nine minutes left when Martin Bullock went down under a challenge from Grant Basey which was easily converted by Easter.

In an entertaining game neither team really deserved to lose with both hitting the woodwork in the first half but generally struggling to get past well-marshalled defences and excellent goalkeepers.

Brentford had the first sight of goal when Moore forced Jamie Young into a full-stretch save while Adrian Pettigrew almost scored an own goal with a scissor kick volley from a Scott McGleish cross but Ben Hamer was in the right place to save.

Charlie Ide snatched at a shot and fired wide when Wycombe failed to clear a Moore cross and the influential midfielder had another effort saved after an exchange of passes with Ide.

Ricky Shakes could have put Brentford ahead when he cut inside from the left but Young beat away his shot with Glenn Poole screaming for a cut back.

The first twenty minutes had seen Brentford on top but Wycombe came back into it, Easter forced Hamer into a low save from a tight angle and brought another stop from the Bees' keeper after Bullock had played him in.

Easter should have put the hosts in front when he fired a shot in after David McCracken nodded a Bullock corner down but the ball flicked off Hamer and cannoned against the crossbar, McCracken headed the re-bound wide and moments later Brentford rattled the woodwork.

Poole whipped in a cross after Wycombe failed to clear his corner and Osborne rose at the far post and powered a header past Young but against the bar.

Poole had a weak shot easily saved and McGleish flicked a header over as an exciting first 45 minutes drew to a close and Shakes almost ended it in great style when he fizzed a volley inches past the post when Wycombe again failed to clear a Poole corner.

The second half failed to live up to the first but chances still came in a breathless game with the sun beating down.

Poole brought a save from Young with a shot from the edge of the box, McGleish fired over and Hamer saved superbly at full stretch as Matt Bloomfield tried to curl the ball in from 20 yards.

Moore was dismissed soon after and though Easter looped a header over he made no mistake from the spot when Bullock skipped past Basey and went to ground as the young defender tried to retrieve the ball at full stretch.

Torres could have doubled the lead but dribbled a shot wide and Kevin O'Connor cleared from deep in his own box after a fine run from Easter.

Brentford battled for an equaliser but couldn't make a breakthrough, Young saved from Osborne when the defender hit a shot from 35 yards and Pettigrew volleyed over late on and the visitors had to accept their first league defeat of the campaign.

Wycombe Wanderers: Young; Martin, McCracken, Johnson, Stockley, Bullock, Holt (sub Oakes 68 mins), Bloomfield, Williams (sub Torres h/t); Easter, McGleish (sub Sutton 68 mins)

Subs (not used): Shearer, Reid

Bookings: Johnson (6 mins), Stockley (46 mins)

Brentford: Hamer; Starosta, Heywood, Osborne, Basey; Moore, O'Connor, Pettigrew, Poole (sub Connell 80 mins); Shakes, Ide (sub Pead 70 mins)

Subs (not used): Brown, Mousinho, Smith

Bookings: Hamer (25 mins) (second of season), Moore (31 mins) (third of season), Basey (81 mins)

Attendance: 4,711 (827 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports