Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 at 09:11 AM


A goal just past the half hour mark handed Brentford a second away defeat in four days, 1-0 against Accrington Stanley at a blustery Frazer Eagle Stadium.

Windy conditions made playing passes of any distance very difficult and both teams struggled to keep possession for too long, with errors to the fore.

After a bright start by Brentford it was the hosts who had the better of the first half, although their half time lead came through a goal that was more than a little fortuitous.

It came when Leam Richardson picked up a ball on the right after Andrew Mangan got the better of Robert Milsom and Glenn Poole on the edge of the box.

Richardson's deep cross looped up and over Ben Hamer and in off the far post, with a little help from the swirling wind.

The home side had chances to be ahead before that, Hamer turned a Mangan shot over the top and then produced a full length save to deny Paul Mullin, who lashed in a shot from the edge of the box.

Aswad Thomas shot wide and James Harris shot over the top as the home side had the better of things but The Bees were fighting their way back before Richardson's opener.

Alan Connell had a low shot saved and Mullin almost scored an own goal when he diverted a Milsom cross into the arms of his goalkeeper Kenny Arthur.

The first goal of the game came slightly against the run of play and Connell could have equalised before half time with a wicked low shot which flew inches wide of the post and almost did soon after when Arthur had to hold a chipped effort at full stretch.

Brentford, playing against the wind after the break, were beginning to get on top but couldn't create clear cut chances.

And Mullin could have put Brentford out of get game completely, he headed over from close range, miss-hit a shot and then contrived to blaze over with only Hamer to beat after the Bees' keeper had palmed an Ian Craney shot out to him.

The Bees continued to fight for an equaliser but found the home defence a tough nut to crack and they were handed a second straight 1-0 defeat.

Accrington Stanley: Arthur; Edwards, Webb, Roberts, Thomas; Richardson, Craney, Mannix (sub Whalley 77 mins), Harris (sub Proctor 76 mins); Mullin, Mangan (sub Todd 65 mins)

Subs (not used): Dunbavin, King

Bookings: Richardson (57 mins)

Brentford: Hamer; Pead, Sankofa, Osborne, Dickson; W. Brown (sub Shakes 22 mins), Smith, Milsom (sub Mousinho 76 mins), Poole; Connell, Reid (sub Elder 66 mins)

Subs (not used): Simon Brown, Charles

Bookings: Milsom (35 minutes) (third of season), Sankofa (66 mins)

Attendance: 1,149

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports