Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Aug 08 at 21:33 PM


Brentford recorded their first away win of the season in a game of two penalties at Underhill.

Glenn Poole's first half spot kick gave the visitors the points but they were thankful to Ben Hamer for saving an Albert Adomah penalty early in the second period.

Brentford played some beautiful football, particularly in the first half, but had to withstand a barrage of pressure from the hosts, who missed a number of chances to share the spoils.

The home side were wasting openings inside the first minute, Adam Birchall firing over from 15 yards, and it proved to be the story of their afternoon.

Brentford had grabbed control of the game by the time they were awarded a penalty for a foul by Adomah on Brett Johnson, who produced a brilliant run into the box.

Poole grabbed hold of the ball and sent Lee Harrison the wrong way from the spot to give Brentford a lead they fully deserved.

And Poole should have doubled that lead soon after when he accelerated onto a Charlie MacDonald lay off but his shot was weak and Harrison saved.

Nathan Elder headed an Adam Newton cross wide, Kevin O'Connor had a free kick deflected wide and Marvin Williams had a cross-cum-shot saved low by Harrison when he robbed Michael Leary deep in the Barnet half.

The home side offered little in the first period, Adomah shot high and Cliff Akurang had shot blocked by James Wilson but no-one could argue with Brentford holding a half time lead.

But immediately after the break Barnet had a golden opportunity to equalise when referee Darren Drysdale awarded another penalty, this time for a supposed foul by Johnson on Adomah.

The Barnet winger picked himself up to take the spot kick but Hamer guessed correctly and dived to his left to push the kick away and the Brentford stopper was quickly on his feet to force Birchall to fire the re-bound wide.

The home side came out invigorated after half time and were starting to push Brentford back, Neal Bishop volleyed wide, Akurang shot straight at Hamer after bursting through and the visitors' goalkeeper held a fierce long range effort from Aswad Thomas soon after.

But Brentford were creating chances on the break, Elder lofted an effort over Harrison but just wide from a long Hamer kick, MacDonald fired wide on the turn and Poole had a deflected free kick cleared off the line by Ismail Yakubu.

It was, however, the home side having the better of things, Poole produced a fine late tackle to deny Bishop, Hamer saved well from a fierce Adomah shot and substitute Luke Medley wasted a good opening by shooting weakly at the Brentford goalkeeper when well placed.

As time ticked on the home wide began to throw more bodies forward and more balls into the box, Adomah shot wide from the edge of the area and Birchall smacked a shot against the post from a tight angle.

The Barnet striker wasted the best chance of the afternoon inside the final ten minutes when he found space from a corner four yards out but shot straight at Hamer.

Craig Pead shot wide at the other end and Moses Ademola almost opened his Brentford account when he robbed Joe Devera and cut towards goal before unleashing a shot which Harrison tipped over the bar.

Barnet continued to press and Medley should have equalised when he managed to beat Hamer to a ball though late on but rolled his shot wide and Brentford held firm to record a second win in a week.

Barnet: Harrison; Devera, Leary, Yakubu, Thomas; Adomah, Bishop, Porter, Carew (sub St. Aimie 83 mins); Akurang (sub Medley 61 mins), Birchall (sub Charles 85 mins)

Subs (not used): Beckwith, Tabiri

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Bennett, Johnson; Williams, O'Connor (sub Bean 68 mins), Pead, Poole (sub Ademola 83 mins); MacDonald (sub Connell 87 mins), Elder

Subs (not used): Brown, Phillips

Attendance: 2,815 (1278 Brentford fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports