Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Sep 08 at 19:03 PM


Brentford were forced to survive the last 13 minutes of a fiercely competitive London derby with only ten men before extending their unbeaten run to five with a 2-1 victory over Dagenham and Redbridge.

The Bees had raced into a two-goal lead at half time playing some lovely football but were pegged back after half time and had substitute Kevin O'Connor sent off inside the last 15 minutes.

But with a vocal Griffin Park crowd at their backs The Bees saw off the challenge of the east London outfit to take the points.

The red card, for what appeared to be a perfectly fair tackle on Ben Strevens, left a slightly sour taste on what was, for long periods, a competitive and entertaining game.

The first half saw plenty of chances, with many of the better early openings being created by the visitors.

Strevens fired narrowly wide from 25 yards inside the first 15 seconds and then saw a shot clip the outside of the post after a nice turn inside the box.

Ben Hamer also produced a fine save high to his left when the Dagenham marksman let fly from 20 yards.

But Brentford were by no means second best, Tony Roberts had to rush from the Daggers goal early on to save at Charlie MacDonald's feet while a succession of early corners caused a few scares in the visitors' defence.

Marcus Bean had an effort cleared with Roberts stranded and MacDonald headed over soon after before Sam Saunders curled a free kick against the crossbar at the other end.

It seemed a goal had to come and it was Brentford who got it, Adam Newton picked up a corner which had been cleared back to him and curled a cross in for Nathan Elder to head home.

MacDonald almost doubled the lead when he raced onto a Bean pass and smashed in a shot which Roberts tipped against the post before firing the re-bound straight at the Dagenham stopper.

But the Bees striker made no mistake minutes later when Glenn Poole raced away on the left and squared the ball perfectly, MacDonald slotted the ball under Roberts for what proved to be the match-winning goal.

Bean shot over soon after, Poole volleyed wide and Elder had a shot deflected wide but Dagenham showed the game was far from over when Paul Benson blazed a Saunders cross over the bar from close range.

And minutes after the re-start the visitors were back in it when Saunders picked up a Soloman Taiwo pass, cut inside and curled the ball into the bottom corner.

Poole had a weak shot saved and Saunders shot straight at Hamer before Taiwo fired a volley well over the bar.

Roberts produced a fine low save from Poole before Saunders forced Hamer into one at the other end.

The game was fairly even when O'Connor was dismissed but it seemed to galvanise Brentford and Dagenham had few chances late on.

Richard Graham forced Hamer into a low save and Anwar Uddin placed an effort wide while Elder headed wide at the other end.

But neither team could get another goal and Brentford took the points.

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Bennett, Johnson; Williams, Pead (sub O'Connor 65 mins), Bean, Poole; Elder, MacDonald (sub Artus 79 mins)

Subs (not used): Brown, Phillips, Ademola

Dagenham and Redbridge: Roberts; Okuonghae (sub Southam 79 mins), Arber, Uddin, Griffiths; Saunders, Taiwo, Gain, Nurse (sub Graham 66 mins); Strevens (sub Nwokeji 84 mins), Benson

Subs (not used): Thompson, Boardman

Attendance: 4,519 (403 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports