Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 29 Dec 08 at 15:17 PM


Brentford extended their unbeaten run to six games with a hard fought draw at Wycombe Wanderers.

The two best defences in League Two squared up on a warm late summer afternoon in Buckinghamshire and a game of few chances resulted.

Brentford probably had the better of the game, although Ben Hamer was the busier goalkeeper, but it was a match that rarely looked like producing a winner.

The well-drilled back lines, protected by hard-working midfield packs meant it was an attritional afternoon for those watching the teams who started the day first and sixth in the table.

The game started brightly, giving little indication of the afternoon of few openings that was to follow.

Brett Johnson headed a Mike Williamson header off the line in the early stages and Marvin Williams forced Scott Shearer to smother at his feet at the other end.

Hamer had to spread himself to deny Scott McGleish after a good run and cross by Gavin Grant and Chris Zebroski curled an effort over soon after.

Nathan Elder shot wide for Brentford and Williams forced Shearer into the save of the afternoon with a fierce left footed drive just before half time.

Zebroski missed the best chance of the afternoon when the Brentford defence, for once, failed to deal with a long ball through - the Wycombe wide man nipped in behind but although his flicked finish beat Hamer it also beat the far post.

Zebroski also shot over for the home side while John Mousinho and Grant had shots blocked but the first half was not a great spectacle.

McGleish almost started the second half with the opening goal but headed into the side netting and Charlie MacDonald had an effort from a free kick awarded for a back pass seven yards out blocked soon after.

The Bees thought they should have had a penalty when it looked like a Wycombe hand blocked an Alan Bennett header but referee Richard Beeby gave nothing.

Glenn Poole fired a free kick across the face of goal, Shearer saved from a Bennett header and Craig Pead shot wide before Poole had a shot deflected over as time ticked on.

Wycombe substitute Matt Harrold shot wide and Zebroski forced a low save from Hamer soon after and the hosts could have won it when another Harrold header was tipped away by Hamer.

But it was Brentford who finished the stronger and a Ryan Dickson free kick almost caught Shearer napping but it wasn't to be and the game finished all square.

Wycombe Wanderers: Shearer; McCracken, Williamson, Johnson, Woodman; Grant (sub Phillips 74 mins), Doherty, Mousinho, Spence (sub Church 58 mins); Zebroski, McGleish (sub Harrold 58 mins)

Subs (not used): Young, Ashton

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Bennett, Johnson; Williams, Pead, Bean, Poole (sub Dickson 79 mins); Elder, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, Phillips, Ademola, Ochoa

Attendance: 5,799 (1,475 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports