Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Sep 08 at 20:39 PM


Brentford were held to a frustrating draw by a Lincoln City side who arrived at Griffin Park after the scheduled kick off time.

The visitors turned up at 3.05pm, causing a 40 minute delay to kick off, but it was they who seemed to benefit, pulling level after an early Nathan Elder goal and battling well after the break to stifle The Bees and pick up their first away point of the campaign.

They could have been ahead early on when Lee Beevers skipped past Adam Newton and James Wilson before picking out Adrian Patulea with a cross but Alan Bennett cleared off the line and reacted swiftly to block Lenell John-Lewis' follow-up.

Glenn Poole missed an early chance to Brentford, slicing wide after being set up by Marvin Williams and it was the hosts who dominated the first half hour.

Elder headed a free kick narrowly wide before Williams forced a fine save from Robert Burch in the visitors' goal after being put through by Charlie MacDonald.

The Bees deserved to be in front and got their goal in the 24th minute when Lincoln failed to clear a Brett Johnson long throw and Elder swivelled to lash a shot into the far corner.

That only served to boost the rampant hosts, MacDonald put Williams through again only for Burch to deny him one more with his legs and Elder diverted an Adam Newton free kick narrowly wide as the Lincoln defence stood and watched.

But against the run of play Patulea picked up a John-Lewis flick, raced free and drilled a low shot into the corner to level things up.

Lee Frecklington almost gave Lincoln an undeserved lead when a curling shot flew inches wide and Patulea had claims for a penalty late in the half when he went down under a challenge from Marcus Bean.

But referee Linington, who was fussy throughout, gave nothing - and he was probably right.

Lincoln were rocked just before half time when goalkeeper Burch had to be withdrawn and also lost right back Paul Green soon after the re-start but that only served to strengthen their resolve.

Newton fired over after a nice move by Brentford, who also lost a player - Williams - at half time and replacement stopper Ayden Duffy denied MacDonald soon after.

Elder headed wide and thought he should have been given a spot kick when he went down under one of a number of firm challenges by Janos Kovacs but again Mr Linington gave nothing.

Bennett had a header cleared off the line by Shane Clarke and Elder shot over but it was the visitors who came closest to winning it.

Frecklington almost created a chance when he burst into the box but couldn't connect and Kovacs headed a late corner wide from close range but Dany N'Guessan missed the best chance.

He raced free with seconds remaining and looked set to give Lincoln a fortunate three points but Hamer rushed out to save at his feet and keep the scores level.

Brentford: Hamer; Newton (sub Ademola 84 mins), Wilson, Bennett, Johnson; Williams (sub Phillips h/t), Wright, Bean, Poole (sub Wood 74 mins); Elder, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, Pead

Lincoln City: Burch (sub Duffy 40 mins); Green (sub Hone 61 mins), Kovacs, Sinclair, Beevers; Frecklington, Kerr, Clarke; N'Guessan, Patulea (sub Wright 84 mins), John-Lewis

Subs (not used): Gall, Pembleton

Attendance: 4,557 (289 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports