Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Sep 08 at 21:02 PM


Marcus Bean scored the only goal of the game as Brentford extended their unbeaten run to eight with a hard-fought win at Chesterfield.

The central midfielder notched his first Bees goal with a header from a Glenn Poole corner in the seventh minute to settle a game that the visitors dominated for large periods.

They should have been out of sight before half time and Chesterfield were indebted to central defender Aaron Downes for a few important last-ditch tackles to keep them in touch.

But the hosts were on top territorially after the break and Brentford had to withstand a late, largely aerial, onslaught before leaving with the points.

James Wilson had already fired a shot wide before Bean's headed goal and that only served to boost a Brentford side which was rampant early on.

Downes produced a brilliant block to deflect a Nathan Elder shot over the top after good work by Charlie MacDonald before an Adam Newton corner was scrambled off the line.

MacDonald looked set to double the lead when he raced onto an Elder flick before Downes swooped to make a brilliant last-man tackle at full stretch and Glenn Poole curled a free kick over the top soon after.

The home side came back into the game as the first half ticked on, Jamie Winter shot wide and Derek Niven had a shot deflected wide before Downes produced another brilliant clearance as Elder looked set to turn home a Newton cross.

Alan Goodall almost levelled things on the half hour with a curling free-kick which hit the top of the crossbar but it was Brentford who finished the half as they started in, in control.

Poole had a shot deflected away when it looked destined for the net and Josh Wright had a free-kick saved by Trevor Carson as time ticked on.

And in stoppage time MacDonald came within a whisker of doubling the lead when he headed a John Halls cross against the bar before Elder narrowly failed to reach a wicked Poole cross.

The second half had fewer chances with Brentford defending well and Chesterfield unable to utilise their possession.

Alan Bennett almost doubled the lead when he flicked a Poole corner inches wide and Winter shot wide at the other end before the game sprung to life on the hour.

James Wilson was booked when referee Mr Horwood adjudged he had barged substitute Jamie Lowry into the advertising hoardings and the Chesterfield attacker had to be withdrawn.

That roused the home crowd and The Spireites responded, pushing Brentford back.

But The Bees held firm and limited Chesterfield to half chances.

Jack Lester steered a shot wide and then could only divert a fierce Val Teixeira cross straight at Ben Hamer from close range.

Hamer was called into action again to push out a fierce Winter drive and Halls headed a Kevin Austin shot away deep inside his penalty area but clear cut chances were very few for the home side, despite their possession.

And Moses Ademola could have settled it when he headed a Poole cross wide before MacDonald shot straight at Carson late on.

But Brentford did not need a second goal and continued their fine run with their second away win of the season.

Chesterfield: Carson; Picken, Downes, Austin, Goodall; Currie, Niven, Winter, Robertson (sub Lowry 56 mins (sub Teixeira 60 mins)); Lester, Boden (sub Harsley 80 mins)

Subs (not used): Whatsize, Hall

Brentford: Hamer; Halls, Wilson, Bennett, Wood; Newton, Wright, Bean, Poole (sub Dickson 84 mins); Elder (sub Ademola 73 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, Pead, Phillips

Attendance: 3,188 (323 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports