Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Oct 08 at 17:26 PM


Glenn Poole notched his third goal in three games to help Brentford to a battling 1-1 draw against Aldershot Town.

The Bees' top scorer slotted home a penalty won by Marvin Williams just before the hour mark to level Scott Davies' opener for the home side.

Brentford had to battle hard for their point, withstanding a barrage of pressure in the first half and surviving a couple of late scares to extend their unbeaten run to ten league games.

The home side started much the better, Louis Soares shot over early on and Davies blazed wide when well placed soon after.

The home side should have taken the lead when Davies fed Soares on the right edge of the penalty area but the wide man fired across the face of goal; however the opening strike of the afternoon was not long in coming.

Aldershot midfielder Ricky Newman burst through to try and reach a Davies pass and went down under the challenge of Ben Hamer on the left edge of the penalty area.

Davies took the responsibility from the spot and sent Hamer the wrong way to give the hosts a deserved lead.

Davies shot wide soon after, Hamer saved well from Junior Osborne after a quick break and Ben Harding turned a Dean Howell cross wide at the near post as the home side continued to hold the upper hand.

Poole fired a free kick across the face of goal but it took half an hour for Brentford to get a foothold in the game.

But once they did get themselves into it they proved they had the weapons to threaten the home side.

Alan Bennett headed an Adam Newton free kick narrowly over before the Brentford captain shot wide after nice interplay with John Halls and Williams.

Newton again came close when a cross-cum-shot was palmed over and Josh Wright had a shot which bounced through to Nikki Bull in the home goal.

Harding shot over late in the first period and Rob Elvins also went close as an entertaining 45 minutes was brought to a close.

Then introduction of Nathan Elder at half time gave Brentford more options and they immediately looked a better side.

Williams headed wide at the far post before winning the penalty which earned his side a share of the spoils.

The winger took on Howell and both players tumbled inside the area after a tangle of legs, Williams reacted quickest and appeared to be felled by the Shots' left back and a penalty was awarded.

Poole made no mistake from 12 yards to level the scores and for a while The Bees appeared to have the upper hand.

Poole shot wide soon after and then fired a free kick narrowly over the top but it was the home side which ended in the ascendency.

Soares pulled a shot wide before Elvins did likewise and then narrowly failed to reach a Chris Blackburn cross-cum-shot.

James Wilson deflected an Anthony Charles header wide late on and in the dying stages Aldershot had two great chances to win it.

Charles had the first when he nodded a Kirk Hudson free kick wide from close range and when it appeared time was up Bennett was in the right place to clear a low Junior Mendes shot off the line to earn The Bees a point.

Aldershot Town: Bull; Osborne, Blackburn, Charles, Howell; Soares, Newman (sub Chalmers 83 mins), Harding, Davies (sub Hudson 83 mins); Elvins, Hylton (sub Mendes 72 mins)

Subs (not used): Donnelly, Jaimez-Ruiz

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Bennett, Wood; Halls, Wright, Bean (sub Elder h/t), Poole (sub O'Connor 90 mins); Williams, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, Phillips, Ademola

Attendance: 5,023

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports