Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 21 Oct 08 at 23:06 PM


Brentford recovered from the shock of conceding an early goal to run out comfortable winners against Morecambe and extend their unbeaten run in Coca-Cola League Two to 11 games.

The Bees were stunned when Stuart Drummond stole in to give the visitors a fifth minute lead but they fought back to record their fourth home win of the season.

It may have been different had The Shrimps held onto the lead given to them by Drummond when he turned home a Rene Howe knock down with the Brentford defence appealing for offside.

But within six minutes Brentford were ahead and they never looked like relinquishing the advantage once they had gained it.

The equaliser came in the eighth minute when Glenn Poole latched onto a delightful Marcus Bean pass and drilled in a low cross which Charlie MacDonald turned home from close range, and three minutes later Brentford were in front.

Marvin Williams nodded the ball into the path of MacDonald, who returned a pass the winger couldn't convert however Poole was in the right place to lash home from eight yards.

Buoyed by their lead Brentford proceeded to give a scintillating exhibition of football which could have seen them hand Morecambe a hiding.

Poole had a free kick from 35 yards turned onto the post by backpedalling Shrimps' goalkeeper Barry Roche and then a low shot saved by the visitors' stopper while Nathan Elder headed an Adam Newton cross wide from eight yards.

Morecambe were also threatening when they had the ball, Howe shot wide and then curled an effort straight at Ben Hamer before firing over the top from 20 yards.

Henry McStay forced Hamer into another near post save and Jim Bentley headed over but it was Brentford playing the more incisive football and creating the better chances.

And when a lovely Bean pass found MacDonald on the left he picked out Elder who headed home from close range to give the home side a more conclusive lead.

Elder headed a Poole cross over soon after and the left winger missed a golden opportunity to give the half time score a real gloss when he failed to convert a penalty just before the break.

Referee Trevor Kettle had turned down a number of appeals, including what appeared to be clear cut ones when Williams and MacDonald took tumbles, but eventually pointed to the spot when Elder was shoved over by Bentley.

Poole stepped up but his low penalty was saved by Roche low to his left.

Bean shot over as half time approached and Morecambe almost pulled one back when Sam Wood cleared a Bentley header off the line while a Neil Wainwright cross landed on top of the bar in the dying seconds of the first 45.

The second half almost continued in the same vain when MacDonald latched onto a Williams through ball inside the first 30 seconds but Roche rushed out and the Bees' striker knocked the ball against him as he tried to go past.

Brentford continued to try and press forward but Morecambe were better organised and chances were fewer and further between.

Williams had a low shot saved, MacDonald curled an effort wide and then fired across the face of goal when he latched on to an Elder knock down.

The visitors fought for a way back into the game and almost found one when Howe nodded across goal and an Aaron Taylor header was cleared off the line by Bean.

James Wilson blocked a Wayne Curtis shot, Bentley headed over and Hamer saved well from a McStay free kick as the visitors pressed.

But Brentford almost sealed it at the other end when MacDonald rounded Roche but Drummond shepherded him wide and he couldn't get a shot away.

Hamer saved well from another Bentley header as time ticked on and substitute Ryan McCann volleyed a Howe cross wide in stoppage time but Morecambe couldn't find a way back and Brentford continued their fine run with a good home win.

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Phillips, Wood; Williams (sub O'Connor 84 mins), Halls, Bean, Poole (sub Dickson 84 mins); Elder, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, Ochoa, Ademola

Morecambe: Roche; Yates, Bentley, McStay, Adams; Wainwright (sub McCann 81 mins), Stanley, Drummond, Curtis; Taylor (sub O'Carroll 81 mins),Howe

Subs (not used): Edge, McLachan, Parrish

Attendance: 3,733 (38 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports