Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 29 Oct 08 at 01:55 AM


Brentford's 12-match unbeaten run in Leaguer Two was brought to a shuddering halt as they were handed a thumping defeat by Chester City.

The home side were perhaps fortunate to be leading at the break thanks to a Ryan Lowe goal but punished The Bees after the break as Lowe and Kevin Roberts added goals to seal a 3-0 win.

It may have been different if The Bees had scored first, and they certainly had the chances.

Glenn Poole had an early free kick saved and the Bees wide man then joined Marvin Williams in a two-on-one attack but the right winger wasted possession.

Marcus Bean shot wide from 25 yards and then came within a whisker of giving the visitors the lead when he latched onto a Sam Wood cross eight yards out but the effort smashed against the crossbar.

Chester had offered little, with long range efforts from Kevin Ellison and Mark Hughes failing to test Ben Hamer, but with 25 minutes on the clock they took the lead.

Brentford were caught square when a James Vaughan ball was flicked on by Eddie Johnson and Lowe raced clear to slot past Hamer.

Ellison sliced a shot wide and then missed the target from distance after picking up a loose Hamer clearance but Brentford still held the ascendency at the end of the half.

Poole had a volley blocked by Roberts at close range, Charlie MacDonald looked set to equalise when he raced clear only to be tackled by Paul Linwood and Bean brought a fine save out of John Danby with a low drive.

The Bees would have gone into the break thinking they were still in the game but by the hour mark they were out of it.

Roberts headed a second from six yards out when he met a Lowe free kick completely unmarked and provider turned scorer when Lowe latched onto a Johnson flick and slotted past Hamer to make it three.

Wood could have pulled one back when he picked up a Hamer clearance but shot wide from 18 yards and Bean had a header saved soon after but Chester had the chances to hand Brentford a real beating.

Ellison shot over, Lowe blazed wide from a tight angle after rounding Hamer and then fired across the face of goal before substitute Paul Rutherford flicked an effort narrowly past the post when he only had the Brentford goalkeeper to beat.

The Bees fought for a way back onto the game, Ryan Dickson headed a Williams cross inches wide, Halls shot over from 20 yards and MacDonald brought a brilliant save from Danby with a fine swivel and shot.

But Brentford couldn't get the goal they needed and headed home with nothing to show for their efforts.

Chester City: Danby; Vaughan, Roberts, Linwood, Barry; Harris, Hughes, Mozika, Ellison; Lowe, Johnson (sub Rutherford 88 mins)

Subs (not used): McManus, Mitchell, Williams, Allison

Brentford: Hamer; Newton, Wilson, Bennett, Wood (sub Dickson 64 mins); Williams, Halls, Bean, Poole (sub Phillips 78 mins); Elder (sub Ademola 52 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, O'Connor

Attendance: 1,301 (222 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports