Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 25 Nov 08 at 23:00 PM


Nathan Elder scored the only goal of the game as Brentford picked up their third straight away win with a 1-0 victory against ten-man Luton Town.

The powerful striker grabbed what proved to be the winning goal just before the half hour after fine work by Dean Bowditch.

The Ipswich Town loanee reacted quickest to pick up a Ryan Dickson free kick by the touchline and put in a first time cross which Elder headed home.

It was a game which promised more goals - Elder had enough chances to take home the match ball and the home side had opportunities to level but they could not beat the inspirational Ben Hamer, who was almost faultless in the Brentford goal.

The first half was staccato in many ways, with clusters of exciting action but scrappy passages of play in between.

Brentford had the first opening when Charlie MacDonald latched onto a Dickson pass and got goal side of Ian Roper, he looked set to round Conrad Logan in the home goal and slot home but the Luton stopper got down well to block.

Marcus Bean and Elder headed wide early on and MacDonald fired across the face of goal after he latched on to a Hamer clearance.

Luton also had openings but they were not as clear cut - Asa Hall forced Alan Bennett into a goal line clearance after he rounded Hamer by the by-line and Hamer saved comfortably from Jake Howells and Kevin Gallen.

Elder gave Brentford the lead soon after and although Luton tried to battle back efforts from Dean Talbot and Roper failed to test Hamer.

After the break Brentford continued to have the better chances but Luton pushed The Bees back at times and Hamer had to be alert.

Hall shot over early on and Karleigh Osborne and Mark Phillips were forced into important clearances as Luton pressed.

Elder could have put The Bees two up at the other end but shot over from ten yards when well placed and Bowditch forced Logan into a brilliant low save after good work by Elder and MacDonald.

Luton's goal was leading a charmed life as The Bees' incisive attacking almost reaped rewards - Elder had a shot blocked when it looked destined for the bottom corner and Sam Wood's effort from the re-bound was cleared off the line.

Dickson almost notched his first Brentford goal when he let fly after a nice run but his effort was blocked and Elder's follow-up effort was turned away by Logan.

And seconds later Elder was clean through after the Luton defence misjudged a long ball but he fired over as Logan rushed out.

The Bees almost presented Luton with an equaliser but Wood cleared off the line when Bean's attempted clearance from a Howells corner went towards his own goal and Hamer gathered from a Calvin Andrews header soon after.

Hall headed straight at Hamer from close range and the Brentford goalkeeper got down well to deny Andrews soon after before he tipped a long range effort from Paul McVeigh round the post

The Bees were still breaking with menace late in the day and Elder had a header cleared off the line by Howells from a MacDonald cross before Bowditch's follow-up effort was blocked.

With four minutes remaining Luton's Keith Keane was dismissed for bringing down MacDonald when he was set to go past him and be one-on-one with Logan and with a man advantage The Bees set about closing the game down.

Hamer had to be alert to smother at the feet of Andrews in stoppage time but he had little else to do as Brentford secured the win and continued their climb up the League Two table.

Luton Town: Logan; Gnakpa, Spillane, Roper, Davis (sub Andrews 60 mins); McVeigh, Hall, Keane, Howells; Gallen, Talbot (sub Jarvis 72 mins)

Subs (not used): Brill, Beaven, O'Connor

Brentford: Hamer; Osborne, Phillips, Bennett, Dickson; Bowditch, O'Connor, Bean, Wood; Elder, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Anderson, Johnson, Pead, Poole, Ademola

Attendance: 5,248 (527 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports