Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 at 17:56 PM


Ten-man Brentford secured an unlikely point against Notts County thanks to a stoppage time Mark Phillips goal.

The Bees had looked set to lose a League Two fixture for the first time since the beginning of November as they trailed to a Delroy Facey strike.

But substitute Glenn Poole floated the ball in and Phillips beat Kevin Pilkington to the ball to head The Bees level as time ran out

But the 1-1 score line tells only half the story as The Bees played all but eight minutes with ten men after the dismissal of Nathan Elder, the powerful striker's second red card in his last two outings.

The game had barely got going when the red card was shown by referee Stuart Atwell - the same official who awarded Reading a goal in their match at Watford when the ball went wide of the post - when he adjudged Elder to have elbowed Mike Edwards.

Four minutes later Matthew Hamshaw set up a goal for the visitors when his run to the edge of the box was only half halted by the Brentford defence and the ball broke to Facey who fired home from ten yards out.

Sam Wood had gone close for Brentford with a header before Elder's red card but after The Bees were reduced to ten the visitors took charge.

Hamshaw volleyed narrowly wide before Facey's strike and chances continued to come after the goal.

Myles Weston, who was a constant threat on the left of midfield, had the best openings - he shot wide from the edge of the box, then over after a nice run from deep and he missed the target again after cutting inside.

Marvin Williams, pushed into action as a striker after Elder's dismissal, came close to an equaliser with a fierce volley which flew inches wide but Brentford chances were few in the first half.

County could have put the game to bed before half time, Jamie Forrester forced Ben Hamer into a low save and Facey and John Thompson were unable to convert the re-bound.

Forrester had an even better chance soon after when Facey fed him after a break on the right, despite rounding Hamer he was unable to get his shot away until the angle was tight and he hit the side netting.

Brentford came out after half time with a renewed vigour and set about finding an equaliser, Wood shot wide from 20 yards and Charlie MacDonald had an effort from the edge of the box blocked.

But County also had chances, Weston fired wide from twenty yards and Hamer tipped a Sean Canham header over the top.

Canham could have sealed it with four minutes remaining but miss-controlled when he was through on goal and Hamer smothered and that prove to be a crucial save.

The Bees thought they had won a penalty when MacDonald went down on the edge of the box but Mr Atwell awarded a free kick and Ryan Dickson curled it wide.

Substitute David Hunt saw a shot deflect straight at Pilkington and the goalkeeper then smothered at the feet of Williams.

But seconds later he came charging out of his goal and present Phillips with a chance to level - which the defender gleefully took.

Brentford: Hamer; Osborne, Bennett, Phillips, Dickson; Williams, O'Connor, Bean (sub Hunt 70 mins), Wood (sub Poole 84 mins); MacDonald, Elder

Subs (not used): Simon Brown, Newton, Halls

Notts County: Pilkington; Picken, Edwards, Johnson, Clapham; Hamshaw, Thompson, Nowland (sub Wedderburn 83 mins), Weston; Forrester, Facey (sub Canham h/t)

Subs (not used): Tann, Fairclough, Hunt

Attendance: 5,465 (278 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports