Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Feb 09 at 18:24 PM


Brentford scored late in each half to maintain their position at the top of League Two with a 2-0 win against Port Vale.

Returning defender Karleigh Osborne grabbed the opening goal in stoppage time at the end of the first half and Charlie MacDonald made amends for missing an early penalty to seal the win inside the final ten minutes.

Most spectators at Griffin Park will have left with little idea how The Bees managed to only score twice against their mid-table visitors as they dominated almost exclusively.

They could have been ahead as early as the fifth minute when Marvin Williams won a penalty after his dart into the box was stopped illegally by Gareth Owen.

MacDonald stepped up but saw his penalty saved by Joe Anyon low to his right.

The match continued in much the same vein for the rest of the afternoon, with Brentford on the front foot and Port Vale hanging on.

The managed to keep Brentford out for most of the first half, although it took some desperate defending.

Anyon saved well down from a fierce Williams shot, Sam Wood fired narrowly wide from 20 yards and Osborne headed a corner over.

MacDonald fired into the side netting after a nice lay off by Jordan Rhodes as Brentford continued to press and the Vale defence threw their bodies in the way to prevent Wood and MacDonald after nice play on the right by Rhodes.

Williams went close again soon after when a corner was half cleared to him on the edge of the box, his shot was blocked by Marc Richards and rolled inches wide.

Bean shot over late in the first period after a great run by John Hall but it looked as if Vale were going to hold on until the break but Osborne rose highest at the near post in the third minute of added time at the end of the half to meet a Kevin O'Connor corner and power it into the net.

The away side had offered almost nothing in the first half - Scott Brown shot over from distance and then forced Ben Hamer into a low save and Simon Richman went close from a corner but Brentford managed to block.

If the opening period had been one side the second was even more so as Brentford dominated possession.

It took a while for them to create openings but once they did it was only a matter of time before the goals came.

MacDonald had a header saved; Rhodes nodded a Ryan Dickson cross narrowly wide and then looped a header over the top before he fired a free kick over.

Halls almost got on the score sheet on his birthday when he got to the by-line and chipped over a cross but Anthony Griffiths cleared and a MacDonald cross just eluded Rhodes minutes later.

Wood shot side, Bennett had an effort blocked and Rhodes shot wide after a nice run to the by-line.

The Bees deserved more goals and eventually got a second when substitute David Hunt and Hall combined with MacDonald, the striker put Hunt through and although the shot was blocked MacDonald reacted quickest to fire home and seal the win.

Brentford: Hamer; Halls, Bennett, Osborne, Dickson; Williams (sub Newton 88 mins), O'Connor, Bean (sub Hunt 83 mins), Wood; MacDonald, Rhodes (sub Elder 90 mins)

Subs (not used): Poole, Johnson

Port Vale: Anyon; Griffiths, Owen, Prosser, Collins; Richman, Ahmed (sub Taylor 76 mins), Brown, Davidson, Dodds; Richards

Subs (not used): Martin, Perry, Thompson, Glover

Attendance: 4,702 (223 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports