Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Feb 09 at 22:17 PM


Brentford stretched their lead at the top of League Two to four points with a 1-0 win over fellow high-flyers Bury.

A Marcus Bean goal late in the first half was enough to separate the sides in a tight and competitive game which showed why the two teams are close to the top of the table.

The killer striker came in the 38th minute when Bury failed to deal with a Sam Wood free kick and Bean pounced to slot the ball home from ten yards.

The Bees looked reasonably comfortable, although Bury's forward play meant the threat could not be ignored, and saw out the win with few scares.

And they had the luxury of playing the last 20 minutes against ten men after Stephen Dawson was sent off for two bookable offences.

The Bees started the brighter - Jordan Rhodes had an early shot blocked, Kevin O'Connor curled a free kick over the top and Bean shot wide from the edge of the box.

Efe Sodje had to make a crucial interception to stop Rhodes going clear and goalkeeper Mark Tyler rushed out to prevent Charlie MacDonald reaching an Alan Bennett nod down.

It took Bury a while to get a foothold in the game but once they did they passed the ball incisively and caused The Bees problems.

Ben Hamer saved at the feet of Dawson and then denied Mike Jones after the wide man had first miss-hit a shot from an Elliott Bennett cross and then got an effort away.

Andy Morrell saw a shot cannon off his own man - Bennett - and the visitors' Bennett had an effort hit Brentford's own version.

Bury thought they had scored when a Jones corner flew across goal, Sodje and Morrell were lurking but Hamer gathered with the visitors appealing the ball had already crossed the line and moments later Bean struck at the other end to enhance their anguish.

Hamer saved from Jones just before the break and Bennett blocked from Dawson soon after but Brentford were in control in the second half.

Tyler saved well from Charlie MacDonald after a nice break by Marvin Williams and O'Connor had a shot from the edge of the box saved.

By that point The Bees' skipper was playing with a head bandage after a foul by Dawson which saw him booked and the Bury man picked up a second yellow moments later for kicking the ball away.

Brentford went looking for a killer second goal, O'Connor had a free kick tipped over and a Bennett header looked certain to nestle in the net before it hit Bean.

MacDonald had a shot saved after a run from deep and substitute Nathan Elder fired across the face of goal as The Bees pressed.

Bury's chances were few and far between, although they did pump balls to Brentford's box in the later stages.

Andy Bishop and Richie Baker had shots blocked and Brentford's Bennett denied his namesake again with a crucial block.

MacDonald shot wide in the later stages but Brentford did not need a second goal to claim a vital three points.

Brentford: Hamer; Halls, Phillips, Bennett, Dickson; Williams (sub Hunt 89 mins), O'Connor, Bean, Wood; MacDonald, Rhodes (sub Elder 65 mins)

Subs (not used): Simon Brown, Newton, Osborne

Bury: Tyler; Scott, Sodje, Cresswell, Buchanan; Bennett, Dawson, Barry-Murphy, Jones (sub Baker 75 mins); Bishop, Morrell

Subs (not used): Haslam, Hurst, Rouse, Racchi

Attendance: 6,597 (560 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports