Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Mar 09 at 22:56 PM


Brentford recorded a fourth straight win to continue their promotion push with a 1-0 win against Grimsby Town.

Charlie MacDonald scored the only goal of the game just before the half hour to give The Bees a deserved win in wet and windy conditions.

It was a game of few chances with the strong wind and driving rain preventing either team from playing balls any distance.

Brentford played the better football and created the better chances and could have had a more convincing victory.

The first shot of the game came from Grimsby's Nathan Jarman, which was blocked, but that was a false dawn for their fans.

Defender Robert Atkinson had to produce a couple of vital clearances to prevent Jordan Rhodes and Marcus Bean reaching low crosses and MacDonald and Mark Phillips were denied a scrambled goal by desperate defending after Wayne Henderson dropped a Ryan Dickson cross.

Bean fired over for The Bees before Ryan Bennett had a weak shot blocked and Atkinson headed over when well placed.

Neither team had created a clear cut chance but when the first one came in the 28th minute MacDonald took it clinically.

Rhodes broke free on the left and put a ball across the box, Adam Newton knocked it back and MacDonald stretched to convert from close range.

The Bees may have expected a backlash from a Grimsby team fighting for their Football League future but it never really came.

Jean-Paul Kalala volleyed over from distance; Ben Hamer held a dangerous Jamie Clarke free kick and Jarman had a shot blocked.

And after the break - with Grimsby playing into the wind - there were fewer efforts with a Danny Boshell free kick comfortably gathered by Hamer the only attempt of note.

It summed up their evening that the closest they came to breaking through was when a goal kick from Henderson was caught by the wind and landed on top of the net after one solid bounce.

Brentford could have extended their lead when Henderson tipped a fierce MacDonald strike over the top and Phillips turned a Wood cross wide soon after.

In the second period Rhodes headed a shot from MacDonald - which looked like it was heading for the corner - into the arms of Henderson and then diverted a nod down from Bean, after a Sam Wood free kick was half cleared, over the top.

Rhodes had a shot blocked soon after as Brentford searched for a second but with their defence holding firm and Hamer untroubled it proved not to matter.

Grimsby Town: Henderson; Clarke, Boshell, Atkinson, Bennett, Widdowson; Jarman (sub Bore 67 mins), Kalala, Boshell, Hegarty (sub Elliott 67 mins); Akpra Akpro, Forbes (sub Proudlock 67 mins)

Subs (not used): Montgomery, Newey

Brentford: Hamer; Osborne, Phillips, Bennett, Dickson; Newton (sub Hunt 89 mins), O'Connor, Bean, Wood; MacDonald, Rhodes (sub Elder 84 mins)

Subs (not used): Simon Brown, Williams, Poole

Attendance: 3,001 (222 away fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports