Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Oct 08 at 01:04 AM


A controversial penalty denied Brentford what would have been a fine away win as they had to settle for a point against Notts County.

Glenn Poole had given The Bees the lead late in the first half and the visitors appeared to have weathered the Notts County storm when the hosts were awarded a spot kick just past the hour mark.

Referee Oliver ignored the advice of his assistant, who was signalling a corner, to give County a penalty when an Adam Tann cross hit Poole from point blank range.

Mr Oliver decided Poole had handled the ball and Jamie Forrester sent Ben Hamer the wrong way to give the hosts a point.

And although the penalty was a little harsh a draw was probably a just result as the home side had more than their fair share of possession.

Brentford had the better of the opening stages, Nathan Elder headed an Adam Newton cross over the top inside the first minute and the Brentford skipper then had a shot of his own which was deflected over, but the home side will feel they were on top in the first period.

Forrester sliced a shot wide after Brentford failed to clear a long Tann ball and Alan Bennett had to make an important clearance soon after when the dangerous Myles Weston found space on the left.

Hamer saved easily from a long range Richard Butcher shot and Weston shot wide after picking up a Matt Hamshaw cross field pass.

The Brentford goalkeeper was in action again to deny Hamshaw and then tipped a Weston cross-cum-shot over the top before Delroy Facey glanced a header wide from close range.

Facey forced Hamer into another save after Weston robbed John Halls but minutes later Brentford ruthlessly exposed a gap in the home defence to take the lead.

Charlie MacDonald was the architect, finding space on the right hand side and although his cut back eluded Elder, Poole arrived late to lash in his fifth goal of the season.

Sam Wood almost doubled the lead with a long range shot which flew just wide and MacDonald nearly created another goal for Poole with a delightful turn near the by-line but the left winger's shot was blocked.

Weston had a chance to level it up before half time but fired a left foot shot wide and Michael Johnson headed over soon after the break.

Poole almost doubled Brentford's tally with a free kick which flew across the face of goal and Jamie Clapham came within a whisker of equalising when his shot from 25 yards cannoned to safety off the post.

From the re-bound Mike Edwards wasted an even better chance when he headed Hamshaw's cross straight at Hamer from close range.

It proved not to be telling as Forrester equalised soon after and from then on the game was a cat and mouse affair with neither side prepared to over commit.

Poole forced Russell Hoult into a low save and Wood did likewise soon after while at the other end Hamshaw fired wide and then made Hamer produce another good save low to his left.

The Bees could have snatched it at the death when a Newton cross fell to Marcus Bean on the edge of the box and his scuffed shot dropped to Poole ten yards out - with the whole ground expecting the net to bulge the wide man shot past the post to leave the game all square.

Notts County: Hoult; Tann, Edwards, Johnson, Clapham; Hamshaw, Strachan, Butcher, Weston; Forrester (sub Canham 84 mins), Facey

Subs (not used): Pilkington, Mayo, Fairclough, Nowland

Brentford: Hamer; Halls, Wilson, Bennett, Wood; Newton, Wright, Bean, Poole; Elder (sub Williams 72 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Brown, O'Connor, Phillips, Ademola

Attendance: 6,012 (223 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports