Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 21 Apr 09 at 22:33 PM


Brentford missed the opportunity to clinch promotion from League Two as they slipped to defeat in east London against Dagenham and Redbridge.

The home side scored two fine goals to lead at the break after having slightly the better of the first period and sealed the win with a third goal after half time.

Damian Spencer pulled one back late on with his first Brentford goal but it was not enough for The Bees, who still need two points from their final two games to seal a League One place.

The game started in a frantic fashion with both teams desperate for the points and Brentford were almost ahead inside five minutes when Sam Wood narrowly failed to connect with a low Billy Clarke cross.

Ben Strevens shot over at the other end and Matt Ritchie missed a great opportunity when he shot straight at Ben Hamer from ten yards.

The opening goal came after 20 minutes and there was an element of controversy to it - Paul Benson appeared to control the ball with his arm before he laid it off to Sam Saunders to curl the ball past Hamer and into the corner from 20 yards.

The lead was nearly doubled minutes later when Strevens beat Hamer to a loose ball and managed to shoot from the by-line but Ryan Dickson was able to acrobatically clear off the line and Solomon Taiwo blasted the re-bound over.

The Bees probably deserved to be behind after the first half hour but battled back and had chances to level.

Sam Williams shot narrowly over after picking up a Wood cross and darting between two defenders before Karleigh Osborne and Clarke combined to set Bean through - as Mark Arber failed to clear - the midfield man got off a low shot but David Button was able to push it away.

Alan Bennett made an important block after a nice turn and shot by Benson but moments later Dagenham had a second

Saunders curled in a corner which Hamer punched away but Taiwo controlled the loose ball and lashed it back past the goalkeeper and into the corner on the volley.

Spencer was introduced for Adam Newton soon after as Brentford switched to a 4-3-3 system but Dagenham continued to hold the upper hand.

Ritchie fired a shot narrowly over early in the second half and Magnus Okuonghae had a shot deflected wide but the third goal was quick to come.

Saunders was involved again, curling a corner to the far post when Arber rose to head home.

Wood shot over as Brentford tried to fight back but Dagenham were on top - Strevens shot wide and then headed wide before Hamer saved well from Scott Griffiths.

Sam Williams fired a volley wide and Spencer missed the target from the edge of the box before The Bees pulled one back.

David Hunt curled in a corner which was cleared straight back to him and his second ball dropped to Spencer, who fired home from eight yards.

The visitors continued to push but could not find a way through and the thousands of Brentford fans - who had to make their way home in the dark as Dagenham's floodlights failed again after the final whistle - trooped back to west London with their party well and truly spoiled.

Dagenham and Redbridge: Button; Foster, Arber, Okuonghae, Griffiths; Saunders, Gain, Taiwo, Ritchie; Strevens, Benson

Subs (not used): Hogan, Southam, Uddin, Montgomery, Guy

Brentford: Hamer; Osborne, Phillips, Bennett, Dickson; Newton (sub Spencer 35 mins), Hunt, Bean, Wood; S. Williams (sub M. Williams 82 mins), Clarke

Subs (not used): Simon Brown, Halls, Poole

Attendance: 3,537 (1,316 Bees fans)

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports