Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 11 Aug 09 at 20:49 PM


Myles Weston scored twice on his Brentford d├ębut as The Bees marked their return to League One with a 3-1 away win against Carlisle United.

The Bees' new boy - signed from Notts County during the close season - opened the scoring inside the first 15 minutes and restored the lead seconds into the second half after Ian Harte had equalised from the penalty spot.

Carlisle came back strong and put Brentford under a lot of pressure but The Bees sealed the win when Sam Wood scored his second goal for the club with a deflected shot.

The stats might point to a game where Carlisle had the upper hand, and they did have more possession and shots on goal, but Brentford were by far the more incisive team, they created better chances and never looked like losing once they had the two goal cushion.

On a warm afternoon in Cumbria the game sprung quickly to life and there were early chances at both ends.

Cleveland Taylor headed wide in the opening minutes for the hosts and Cort forced an early save from Lenny Pidgeley after a Wood cross.

Wood had a good chance minutes later when he picked up a Sam Saunders lay off ten yards out but he screwed his shot wide and Cort was just unable to reach it and turn it home.

It seemed a matter of time until a goal came and it was Weston who got it - Saunders swung over a corner and the new forward peeled off to head in from close range at the back post.

Carlisle had claims for a penalty when Danny Livesey tumbled when trying to reach a Graham Kavanagh corner but referee Mark Haywood waved appeals away.

Minutes later, however, he did point to the spot when a Kavanagh cross cannoned into the arms of Saunders.

Ian Harte stepped up to place the spot kick high to Lewis Price's left and level it up.

Carlisle grew in confidence and tried to press Brentford back - Danny Foster produced a fine block to deny Matty Robson, Harte headed wide, Alan Bennett blocked a Joe Anyinsah effort after he skipped past Mark Phillips and Livesey headed wide.

But Brentford regrouped and ended the half the better - Saunders had a shot saved from long range and had another effort held by Pidgeley when he met a Weston cut back while Cort headed wide.

Wood had a golden opportunity after fine build up play involving Cort and Saunders but he shot wide from 18 yards with only Pidgeley to beat while Harte fired a free kick over at the other end.

Harte volleyed over from close range and Carlisle came within a whisker of taking the lead before the break when Anyinsah diverted a Richard Keogh header onto the bar and Taylor headed over seconds before the whistle.

The level scoreline at the break was just about fair and within 70 seconds of the re-start Brentford were ahead.

Carlisle failed to deal with a David Hunt long throw, Phillips nodded it on to Weston who swivelled and shot low and into the net - although it appeared to go through Pidgeley's legs and he will know he should have kept it out.

Carlisle again tried to fight back - Foster diverted a Harte free kick narrowly wide, Price saved at the feet of Anyinsah and Wood cleared a Scott Dobie effort off the line - but this time Brentford held firm.

And midway through the half they had the game won - a poor Pidgeley clearance fell to Wood and he shot from 20 yards, it deflected off Keogh and dribbled into the corner with the Carlisle stopper again appearing in a position to save.

Price saved well from Dobie but it was Brentford who looked most likely to score.

Wood looped a header wide and Saunders failed to turn home a low Weston cross at the far post after the two-goal man had raced free.

Saunders missed another good chance when he ran from his own half and bore down on Pidgeley but as he tried to round the keeper he had the ball taken off his feet.

Carlisle ended the stronger without ever really looking like scoring.

Kavanagh screwed a shot wide and then forced a save out of Price, Dobie couldn't reach a low Robson cross and Raven and Taylor shot wide.

Despite the pressure Carlisle didn't really test Price and The Bees took the points back to west London.

Carlisle United: Pidgeley; Raven, Livesey, Keogh, Harte; Taylor, Thirlwell (sub Bridge-Wilkinson 82 mins), Taiwo (sub Dobie 56 mins), Robson; Kavanagh Anyinsah (sub Madine 75 mins)

Subs: Collin, Horwood, Murphy, Kane

Bookings: Taiwo (42 mins)

Brentford: Price; Foster, Phillips, Bennett, Dickson; Saunders, Hunt (sub Osborne 90 mins), O'Connor, Wood; Cort, Weston (sub Kabba 82 mins)

Subs: Bull, Blake, Franks, Ferrell, Williams

Attendance: 6,367 (Bees fans 511)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports