Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 17 Aug 09 at 22:28 PM


Brentford played out a 0-0 draw with Brighton and Hove Albion at a blustery Griffin Park.

The Bees continued their unbeaten start to the league season with the point but had the chances to have come away with all three.

In a game of few clear cut openings Brentford had the better but Lewis Price in the Bees' goal was also forced into a few decent saves.

It could have been different if Sam Wood had opened the scoring inside the first two minutes - the wide man was sent clear by Myles Weston but his low shot was kept out by Michel Kuipers.

Dean Cox fired over for the visitors and Sam Saunders did likewise for Brentford before Kuipers saved from Carl Cort and Price did the same at the other end from a curling Alan Navarro shot.

Kevin O'Connor shot over for Brentford after a David Hunt long throw was half cleared before Kuipers saved a weak Cort effort and Weston dragged a shot wide from 25 yards with Wood in yards of space outside.

Mark Phillips made a great last-ditch interception to prevent Adam Virgo slotting home from six yards after a free kick was half cleared and Brentford escaped soon after when Andrew Crofts challenged Price for a high ball and it landed on top of the net.

Alan Bennett volleyed straight at Kuipers for The Bees before Price tipped a fierce Mark Wright shot over and Brighton had the ball in the net before the break through Crofts but it was ruled out for a foul on Price.

Kevin McLeod shot wide for Brighton just before half time and Wood headed across the face of goal for The Bees soon after.

McLeod curled a free kick wide, Kuipers saved low after Virgo had diverted a cross from substitute Cleveland Taylor towards his own goal and Crofts shot straight at Price.

Both teams were trying to get a grip on the game but it was Brentford who managed it as time ticked on.

Virgo deflected a Weston shot wide and then headed away a teasing Ryan Dickson cross with Cort lurking.

Steve Kabba narrowly failed to turn home an O'Connor cross and Andrew Whing made a fine late tackle as Taylor raced clear.

Liam Dickinson, who was well shackled by Phillips and Bennett for most of the afternoon, shot over late on but it was Brentford who came closest to winning it.

O'Connor picked out Taylor in space on the right and his low cross was just too far ahead of Marcus Bean to turn home at the near post.

Brentford: Price; Foster, Bennett, Phillips, Dickson; Saunders (sub Taylor 63 mins), Hunt (sub Bean 77 mins), O'Connor, Wood (sub Kabba 80 mins); Cort, Weston

Subs (not used): Bull, Osborne, Franks, Williams

Brighton and Hove Albion: Kuipers; Whing, Elphick, Virgo, J. Wright (sub El-Abd 55 mins); M. Wright (sub Murray 63 mins), Navarro, Crofts, McLeod (sub Thornhill 77 mins); Cox; Dickinson

Subs (not used): Forster, Tunnicliffe, Dicker, Smith

Bookings: Murray (90 mins)

Attendance: 6,950

Written by Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports