Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 at 14:32 PM


Brentford's unbeaten start to the League One season came to an end in south London as table-topping Charlton Athletic beat The Bees 2-0.

The Addicks made it six wins out of six as first half goals from Deon Burton and Lloyd Sam gave them all three points.

Brentford tried to find a way back into the game but could not find a way through and had to head back west with nothing to show for their efforts.

In general it was a game of few chances and although the hosts dominated possession, particularly in the first half, they didn't create as many openings as they would have liked.

Mark Phillips had to make an important early header to prevent a Sam cross reaching Burton but minutes later Burton had his chance, and took it.

A long ball forward by Miguel Llera was headed back by Sam Wood but it didn't reach Lewis Price and Sam nipped it, he squared it to Burton who scored with ease.

Danny Foster almost set up an equaliser when he got past Nicky Bailey on the right but Llera intercepted his cut back and Jose Semedo deflected a Kevin O'Connor shot over the bar.

James Wilson made an important block to deny Burton and Foster did likewise from a fierce Bailey shot.

Charlton got their second on the half hour after a brilliant move - the hosts put together 25 or 30 passes before Burton slipped it through to Sam, he went past Wood and slotted the ball home.

Cleveland Taylor almost created a goal late in the first half but his shot was blocked by Christian Dailly and Carl Cort headed wide soon after.

Price made an important save at the feet of Burton just before half time and the Charlton forward sliced a shot wide after a good run by Bailey just after the re-start.

Wilson had a header deflected wide for Brentford and Myles Weston missed a golden opportunity when he shot over from 10 yards after a good run by Taylor.

Charlton almost scored a brilliant third when another 25 or 30 pass move ended with Jonjo Shelvey shooting wide from close range and the same player saw a lofted attempt from fully 40 yards fly narrowly wide.

Brentford were able to welcome back Charlie MacDonald and he replaced Cleveland Taylor midway through the second half.

With Weston moved to the left, Brentford started to create better openings.

Cort forced a brilliant save out of Rob Elliot with a powerful header and David Hunt curled a free kick against the angle of post and crossbar.

MacDonald headed wide soon after and Cort nodded a Sam Saunders corner over.

Price made a fine save to deny substitute Izale McLeod and Wood reacted quickly to beat Scott Wagstaff to the re-bound.

Wood shot over in stoppage time but Brentford could not find a way past Elliot and suffered their first league defeat since April.

Charlton Athletic: Elliot; Richardson, Llera, Dailly, Youga; Sam (sub Wagstaff 72 mins), Racon, Semedo, Bailey; Shelvey (sub McLeod 82 mins); Burton

Subs (not used): Randolph, Spring, Sodje, Solly, Tuna

Brentford: Price; Foster (sub Osborne 66 mins), Phillips, Wilson, Wood; Taylor (sub MacDonald 66 mins), Hunt, O'Connor, Saunders; Cort, Weston

Subs (not used): Bull, Legge, Blake, Bean, Kabba

Bookings: O'Connor (34 mins), Taylor (35 mins)

Attendance: 16,399 (Bees fans 1,303)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports