Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Sep 09 at 18:46 PM


Brentford slipped to their second successive defeat as they were beaten 2-0 by Yeovil Town at Huish Park.

The hosts scored a goal in each half as they took advantage of a below-par Brentford performance.

The Bees came back into it in the last half an hour, when they were already two down, and could have salvaged something but although they hit the post and went close with a couple of opportunities they could not find a goal.

Brentford started poorly, playing the ball straight into touch in their right back area from the kick off, and did not have a shot on goal in the first half.

Alan Bennett made a good early tackle to prevent Ryan Mason latching onto a Sam Williams lay off and Terrell Forbes headed wide from a corner soon after.

Yeovil weren't playing particularly well but were still better than The Bees - a Williams shot was diverted wide by Forbes and Nikki Bull, making his Brentford league début, saved at the feet of Andrew Welsh.

The opening goal came midway through the first half when a Welsh corner found Craig Alcock unmarked ten yards out and he powered a header past Bull.

They should have made it two when a Williams nod down was blazed wide by Welsh when he had only Bull to beat.

Cleveland Taylor and Sam Saunders switched flanks late in the first half and The Bees improved but early in the second period they were two down.

Sam Wood lost the ball in midfield and Gavin Tomlin played the ball through for Welsh who slotted past Bull to double the lead.

The Bees had also introduced Myles Weston at half time and sought to improve their attacking output which had been one blocked Saunders free kick late in the first period while Marcus Bean slipped as he attempted to shoot home the re-bound.

But Bull was still the busier goalkeeper early in the second half - he saved a Williams volley before Welsh slotted home and held an Alcock header afterwards while Yeovil also had appeals for a penalty when they claimed Mark Phillips had handled a Williams header.

The second goal seemed to provide the shock Brentford needed and they started to get on top - Kevin O'Connor thought he had been fouled when he tried to latch onto a loose ball ten yards out after a Weston cross had been half cleared and Charlie MacDonald shot wide after a nice turn soon after.

Saunders sliced a shot wide while at the other end Bull saved another Alcock header and Phillips blocked a Mason effort.

Taylor had a header deflected wide and Brentford came closer still when a cross from the wide man fell to Wood at the far post and he lashed a shot against the post from 20 yards.

Alex McCarthy in the Yeovil goal saved from Bean while Bull pushed away a curling Craig Davies effort at the other end.

Yeovil almost grabbed a third when a looping Alcock header was nodded against his own bar by James Wilson as he tried to clear and Tomlin fired a free kick well wide soon after.

Davies almost gave the score line a gloss with a fine late run but Bull saved well low down.

Yeovil Town: McCarthy; Alcock, Caulker, Forbes, Jones; Kalala (sub O'Callaghan 90 mins); Tomlin Mason, MacDonald, Welsh (sub Smith 90 mins); Williams (sub Davies 78 mins)

Subs (not used): Murtagh, Martin, Murray, Lindegaard

Bookings: Welsh (51 mins), Kalala (84 mins)

Brentford: Bull; Wilson, Bennett, Phillips, Wood; Taylor (sub Legge 86 mins), Bean, O'Connor, Saunders (sub Foster 71 mins); Kabba (sub Weston h/t), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Price, Blake, Ferrell, Osborne

Bookings: Bean (84 mins) (second of season), Foster (85 mins) (second of season)

Attendance: 4,249

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports