Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Oct 09 at 16:50 PM


A Charlie MacDonald goal in first half stoppage time set Brentford on their way to their second home win in the last three outings.

The striker slotted home his third goal of the campaign seconds before the half time whistle to give The Bees the lead and the win was secured when substitute Myles Weston scored in the second half.

The home side certainly deserved to be ahead at the break, they dominated possession and created openings against a defensive Stockport County side.

The visitors came out more in the second period and showed they had enough about them to create something but they could not find a way through and Lewis Price in the home goal was not overly busy.

And Weston sealed the win with Brentford's second with just over 20 minutes remaining.

Stockport's defensive outlook meant the first half was not much of a spectacle, they were happy for Brentford to have possession in their own half and rarely ventured far enough forward to leave gaps at the back.

The Bees could have got ahead early on when a MacDonald cross reached Cleveland Taylor at the far post, his volley was kept out by Owain Fon Williams and Sam Wood was unable to turn the loose ball home.

Carl Cort had a header deflected over and then shot off target from distance while The Bees had a penalty appeal turned down when referee Gavin Ward ruled that Paul Huntington's nudge in the back on MacDonald when the striker was jumping for a ball 15 yards out was not a foul.

Ryan Dickson almost opened the scoring when he latched on to a Wood flick and charged forward, he cut inside but as he prepared to shoot from eight yards Liam Bridcutt made a challenge.

Nicholas Bignall, playing up front on his own, was Stockport's main outlet - Kevin O'Connor made an important tackle as he prepared to shoot from 25 yards after nipping past Mark Phillips and when he did get a sight of goal Price saved his low shot easily.

Dickson flicked a Wood free kick inches wide but Brentford finally got the goal they deserved as half time loomed.

Cort slipped the ball wide to Taylor and when the cross came in Huntington slipped - MacDonald was lurking and slotted the ball home.

Greg Tansey almost equalised before the break with a curling effort that Price held well and Stockport were more ambitious after the re-start.

Phillips had to make an important clearance when a Michael Rose corner fizzed across the six-yard box and Price saved a low David Poole shot soon after.

Dickson made a great late tackle when Danny Pilkington looked set to race clear and Price tipped a Paul Turnbull shot over.

But Brentford could have been out of sight by then - Wood should have scored when a clever Cort flick from a Dickson pass put him through but he pulled his shot across the face of goal with MacDonald waiting for a cut back.

Fon Williams saved a low Taylor shot and then held a Cort header from a Wood corner.

At the other end a Poole cross flicked Danny Foster and flew across the face of goal before Bridcutt shot wide and soon after Brentford had it sewn up.

Weston played the ball into MacDonald and burst through as he got it back, he beat one man and placed the ball to the right of Fon Williams from 12 yards.

Oli Johnson curled an effort inches wide as Stockport looked for a way back into the game and Price had to be brave to save at the feet of Bignall soon after.

Cort should have made it three when Weston picked him out with a cross after being released on the left by Dickson - the striker headed down eight yards out but Fon Williams saved.

Brentford: Price; Foster, Phillips, Wilson, Dickson; Taylor (sub Saunders 75 mins), Hunt, O'Connor, Wood (sub Weston 64 mins); Cort, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Moore, Legge, Blake, Bennett, Kabba

Bookings: Hunt (42 mins) (second of season)

Stockport County: Fon Williams; Mullins, Raynes, Huntington, Rose; Bridcutt; Pilkington, Tansey (sub Johnson 71 mins), Turnbull, Poole (sub Griffin 78 mins); Bignall

Subs (not used): Gerrard, Vincent, Thompson, Halls, Barnes

Bookings: Mullins (7 mins)

Attendance: 5,045 (360 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports