Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Oct 09 at 18:47 PM


Brentford conceded three goals from set pieces as they slipped to a 3-0 defeat against Exeter City.

The hosts took an early lead through a deflected Berti Cozic effort and doubled it seconds before the break.

Craig Noone added a third in the second half and although Marcus Stewart was sent off The Bees could not find a way back into the game.

For much of the first half Brentford dominated territory and possession but defensive frailties and a failure to open Exeter up cost them dear.

Stewart headed wide early on for the hosts and James Wilson had a header deflected over at the other end before Exeter took the lead after a Noone shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Alex Russell's ball in was half cleared and Brentford failed to put pressure on Cozic who let fly from the edge of the box and watched the ball nestle in the corner after a deflection.

Brentford had been on the front foot before the goal and continued to be so after but created few openings.

Carl Cort fired an effort inches wide after a nice turn on the edge of the box and Charlie MacDonald had a shot blocked soon after.

Another Cort effort was blocked by Danny Seaborne before more lackadaisical defending lead to a second for Exeter.

Mark Phillips dithered in the left back area and was robbed by Stuart Fleetwood, and the striker was felled as the defender attempted a recovery tackle.

Noone's free kick hit Cleveland Taylor on the end of the wall and dropped perfectly for Steve Tully to volley in from eight yards out.

Phillips and Taylor were both withdrawn at the break, replaced by Karleigh Osborne and Sam Saunders, but with a two-goal advantage Exeter were content to wait for Brentford to come at them.

Cort shot over early on but James Dunne came closest to a goal early in the second period for the visitors when he capitalised as Wilson and Ryan Dickson failed to clear a long ball and shot across the face of goal.

Noone volleyed wide for Exeter and Sam Wood headed off target at the other end before the game was sealed with a third goal with 20 minutes remaining.

Another Russell corner was cleared to the edge of the box when Saunders challenged for it, but Noone reacted quickest and steered a shot into the corner.

Stewart - who had been booked in the first half for an innocuous looking challenge on Kevin O'Connor - was sent off seconds later for clattering Dickson and Brentford did have the upper hand with the extra man.

Saunders had a pair of shots deflected wide, MacDonald had a low shot saved and substitute Myles Weston saw Andy Marriott tip his effort round the post.

Cort had a header saved in the dying seconds but Brentford headed back to west London with nothing to show for their west country trip.

Exeter City: Marriott; Tully, Taylor, Seaborne, Golborne; Dunne, Russell, Cozic, Noone (sub Harley 85 mins); Stewart, Fleetwood (sub Corr 74 mins)

Subs (not used): Jansson, Edwards, Logan, Sercombe, Archibald-Henville


Sent Off: Stewart (70 mins) (second bookable offence)

Brentford: Price; Foster, Phillips (sub Osborne h/t), Wilson, Dickson; Taylor (sub Saunders h/t), Bean, O'Connor, Wood (sub Weston 64 mins); Cort, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Moore, Legge, Hunt, Kabba

Bookings: Phillips (44 mins) (third of season), Dickson (65 mins)

Attendance: 5,355 (575 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports