Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 26 Nov 09 at 12:45 PM


A Matt Harrold penalty, awarded for a debatable handball by Karleigh Osborne, condemned Brentford an away defeat against Wycombe Wanderers.

It was a disappointing evening for The Bees - they had James Wilson sent off for a last man foul which gave Harrold a second opportunity from the spot, and although Wojciech Szczesny saved the spot kick it could not inspire Brentford to a point.

On a wet and windy evening the game was a poor spectacle, not helped by the almost incessant whistling of referee Keith Stroud.

John Bostock had two early efforts for Brentford, one flew a long way wide and the second deflected off John Mousinho and rolled inches past the post.

Ben Strevens headed over soon after as Brentford started the brighter but the best chances of a lacklustre first half fell to the hosts.

Harrold headed straight at Szczesny and the on loan goalkeeper tipped a Kevin Betsy effort round the post soon after.

Mousinho had a shot deflected wide, Gareth Ainsworth missed the target with a header and Szczesny made a fine full stretch save to keep out a curling Betsy effort.

The half saw both teams lose players to injury - The Bees' Charlie MacDonald had to be withdrawn after 25 minutes with Rhys Murphy brought on in his place.

Wycombe substitute Scott Beavon shot straight at Szczesny, Harrold shot wide and Betsy shot over.

Bostock shot wide for The Bees and they could have taken the lead before the break when a Marcus Bean cross dropped to Sam Wood at the far post but his acrobatic effort flew wide.

Playing against the wind, Brentford would have been reasonably happy with their first half showing but within three minutes of the re-start they were a goal behind.

They failed to get the ball out of their half from Wycombe's kick off and when Michael Duberry headed a Tommy Doherty ball forward against the arm of Osborne from point blank range Mr Stroud pointed to the spot.

Harrold's penalty was firmly struck and Szczesny could do nothing to keep it out.

Ainsworth shot wide soon after and Beavon looped a header off target before Scott Shearer was forced into a save at the other end when Osborne headed a Bostock corner powerfully goal wards.

Szczesny saved from Ainsworth again just past the hour mark and when Brentford were caught out by a ball forward the Wycombe winger was clean through - Wilson brought him down as he attempted to stop him shooting and Mr Stroud awarded a penalty.

Wilson was dismissed but Harrold wasted the opportunity to seal the game when he blasted his penalty down the middle and Szczesny saved with his legs.

Mousinho lashed a powerful shot inches wide soon after and Szczesny saved well at the feet of Beavon as Wycombe searched for the killer second goal.

Brentford pushed on looking for a late leveller and had a chance with the last kick of the game but Kevin O'Connor's curling free kick cannoned into the wall.

Wycombe Wanderers: Shearer; Hunt, Duberry, Oliver, Woodman; Mousinho, Doherty, Ainsworth, Davies (sub Beavon 30 mins), Betsy; Harrold (sub Akinde 88 mins)

Subs (not used): Young, Westlake, Green, Spence, Harris

Bookings: Harrold (70 mins)

Brentford: Szczesny; Wilson, Osborne, Balkestein, Foster; Bostock (sub Cort 69 mins), Bean, O'Connor, Wood; Strevens, MacDonald (sub Murphy 25 mins (sub Taylor 83 mins))

Subs (not used): Moore, Bennett, Hunt, Saunders

Bookings: Bean (38 mins) (seventh of season), Osborne (47 mins), Szczesny (72 mins)

Sent Off: Wilson (65 mins) (suspended for one match, Walsall (H), November 28)

Attendance: 5,181

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports