Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 at 17:56 PM


Brentford's disappointing run away from home continued as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat against relegation-threatened Tranmere Rovers.

Craig Curran took advantage as Brentford failed to deal with a cleverly worked free kick to score the only goal of the game on the hour mark.

The Bees failed to reach the heights of the back-to-back home wins against Walsall and Colchester United and could not create the opening to salvage a point.

Brentford started brightly and Leon Legge headed a brace of early John Bostock corners wide but the first half was not a great spectacle, and the second was only enlivened by Curran's goal.

Wojciech Szczesny was slightly the busier goalkeeper but Tranmere did not cause the Bees' stopper undue worries.

Curran caused an early worry with an early shot the fizzed narrowly wide and the same man forced a save out of Szczesny after turning Danny Foster.

The Polish international saved well at the feet of Terry Gornell after Brentford failed to clear a long throw and Ian Thomas-Moore narrowly failed to connect with a Curran cross.

Brentford were competitive in midfield but could not quite get their final ball right - Bostock went closest for them before the break with a curling free kick from 25 yards which flew inches wide.

Legge drifted another header wide and Ben Strevens was not quite tall enough to head in a Bostock cross after the Tottenham loanee had tormented Zoumana Bakayogo.

Legge made an important tackle to stop a Curran run and the forward - who hit a hat trick for Rovers the last time Brentford were at Prenton Park - headed wide soon after.

Ian Goodison headed wide soon after half time and Gornell missed the target with an effort while at the other end Charlie MacDonald was just unable to get a shot away after a nice turn.

The game's most inventive bit of play lead to the winning goal, although the strike was poor from a defensive point of view - Curran ran over a free kick and John Welsh slipped it into his path in the inside right channel, with no-one tracking the run the striker slipped the ball past Szczesny and into the net.

Bostock shot wide at the other end and Gornell came within a whisker of sealing it with a shot from a Shaleum Logan long throw which drifted inches wide.

Legge deflected another Gornell wide as Tranmere looked for the clincher and they almost grabbed it when Curran's pull back fell to Gornell but his shot was superbly blocked by Legge and Szczesny saved at the feet of Thomas-Moore.

Brentford rung the changes as they searched for the equaliser - Pim Balkestein headed a Bostock corner wide and a MacDonald shot appeared to be blocked by the arm of Marlon Broomes but nothing was given and Rhys Murphy's effort from the re-bound flew wide.

MacDonald turned a Ryan Dickson cross inches wide but that was as close as Brentford came as they headed back to London with nothing.

Tranmere Rovers: Daniels; Logan, Broomes, Goodison, Bakayogo; Welsh, Taylor, Edds; Curran, Gornell (sub Fraughan 90 mins), Thomas-Moore

Subs (not used): Collister, Cresswell, McLaren, Ricketts, Barnett, Shuker

Bookings: Logan (28 mins), Thomas-Moore (65 mins), Gornell (90 mins)

Brentford: Szczesny; Foster, Legge, Balkestein, Dickson; Bostock, Bean (sub Hunt 88 mins), O'Connor, Wood (sub Cort 87 mins); Strevens (sub Murphy 72 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Moore, Bennett, Wilson, Taylor

Bookings: Legge (83 mins)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports