Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 18 Jan 10 at 11:09 AM


Carlisle United must be sick of the sight of Myles Weston.

The Brentford forward took his total against them to four for the season with a brace as The Bees belatedly kicked off 2010 with a 3-1 home win over the Cumbrian side sealed by a Ryan Dickson strike in stoppage time.

Weston took his overall total for the campaign to seven with a goal in each half as Brentford extended their unbeaten run to five in what turned into a superb, if at times fraught, game.

The visitors probably had the better of the first half an hour and The Bees were indebted to Wojciech Szczesny for a few good saves.

He punched clear a fierce effort from Richard Keogh inside the first five minutes and dived low to his right to keep out a Tom Taiwo volley soon after when Brentford failed to clear a cross.

Carlisle's Keogh thought he had won a penalty when he went down in a melee of players on the right edge of the box but nothing was given and soon after the wide man was booked for a nasty-looking foul on Leon Legge.

Joe Anyinsah shot wide from the edge of the box after he picked up a poor Dickson clearance and Szczesny saved from a curling effort by the same man soon after while Matt Robson fired a free kick well over.

Brentford had been pushed back in the early stages - John Bostock had a shot blocked after Ben Strevens and Charlie MacDonald had combined to set him up and Kevin O'Connor had a shot blocked at source soon after.

It was probably slightly against the run of play when The Bees edged ahead but it was a well-worked goal.

Bostock cleverly took a quick free kick after foul on Strevens on half way and set MacDonald away, the striker twisted and turned the Carlisle defence before firing the ball across the six-yard box where Weston was waiting to slot home.

Ian Harte headed wide as Carlisle looked for a way back - and claimed again that he was fouled while doing so - while Legge headed wide at the other end.

The Bees could have had a second before the break when another quick free kick released Weston on the left, his cross reached Bostock on the far side but his shot was cleared off the line by Evan Horwood and whacked to safety.

Legge shot wide just before half time when a free kick was half cleared and Bostock had a shot blocked just after the break, before blasting over from the right side of the area.

The Bees were dominant by now but were looking for a second goal to give themselves breathing space, they almost grabbed it when Bostock shot wide from the edge of the box but the irresistible Weston did provide it ten minutes after the re-start.

Bostock, starting to thrive in some extra space, was involved again - his shot from 18 yards was saved well by Adam Collin in the Carlisle goal but he could only palm it into the path of Weston who slotted home right footed from 15 yards.

Bostock almost grabbed the goal he deserved with a low shot after a nice run but Collin tipped it round the post.

Carlisle began to throw bodies forward looking for a way back into the game - Harte curled a free kick onto the top of the net and shot wide after a free kick was half cleared but it took a breathtaking save from Szczesny to preserve the two-goal lead.

Brentford failed to clear a corner and Taiwo fired it across the face of goal, Anyinsah turned it goal ward - perhaps inadvertently - and it looked set to nestle in the corner before the Polish keeper dived full length to pull the ball back inches from the line when it appeared to be past him.

Weston was inches from a hat-trick when Brentford broke and MacDonald fed him on the left side of the area, his shot cannoned off the post and neither MacDonald nor Strevens could force it home, although referee Roger East seemed to have blown up for a foul.

Carlisle were inexplicably handed a lifeline when Scott Dobie went through, only to be halted by a brilliant Legge tackle that was deemed by Mr East, yards behind the play, to be a foul.

Legge escaped with a booking, when a red card seemed likely, but Harte made no mistake with the penalty, rolling it home.

Harte shot wide from distance as Carlisle searched for a leveller while substitute Sam Wood blazed wide at the other end and Weston screwed an effort off target in stoppage time.

Szczesny saved a looping header from Offiong before Brentford sealed it in the dying seconds.

Dickson latched on to the ball on the left side and darted forward and into the box - his first attempt was blocked but he lashed it in from close range.

Danny Foster almost added a fourth with a fierce near-post shot that was tipped wide by Collin but that proved to be the last action of a pulsating game.

Brentford: Szczesny; Foster, Legge, Smith, Dickson; Bostock (sub Wood 87 mins), O'Connor, Bean, Weston; MacDonald, Strevens

Subs (not used): Price, Osborne, Phillips, Bennett, Hunt, Cort

Bookings: Legge (80 mins) (second of season), Szczesny (90 mins) (second of season)

Carlisle United: Collin; Keogh, Livesey, Harte, Horwood (sub Bridge-Wilkinson 87 mins); Hurst (sub Offiong 59 mins), Kavanagh, Taiwo (sub Thirlwell 73 mins), Robson; Dobie, Anyinsah

Subs (not used): Pidgeley, Murphy, Aldred, Kane

Bookings: Keogh (21 mins), Kavanagh (44 mins), Offiong (87 mins)

Attendance: 5,089 (514 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports