Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Feb 10 at 14:28 PM


Myles Weston scored his tenth goal of the season - and fifth in the last four games at Griffin Park - to earn Brentford a point in a 1-1 draw with Wycombe Wanderers.

The speedy wide man struck an equaliser with 15 minutes remaining to ensure The Bees continued their unbeaten home run in League One.

Wycombe looked set to inflict Brentford's first Griffin Park league loss since the start of October when they lead through a Kevin Betsy goal - and they deserved at least a point - but they couldn't keep out the free-scoring Weston.

Brentford started brightly, with Weston shooting wide after latching on to a long ball inside the first three minutes, but the early stages of the match were nothing to write home about.

Neither team were helped by a cut up and uneven playing surface but the visitors seemed quicker to the ball in the first half hour.

Their d├ębutante goalkeeper Tom Heaton almost presented John Akinde with a goal when he dithered trying to reach a long ball but the ball rolled wide following the forward's challenge.

It took Wycombe about ten minutes to come to terms with Brentford but by the time they took the lead just past the midway point of the first period, they were on top.

Kevin McLeod blazed over and Alex Revell saw an effort dribble wide when he beat Wojciech Szczesny to a loose ball on the edge of the area.

Another effort from Revell, who scored twice for Swindon Town at Griffin Park earlier in the season, deflected across the face of goal and a flicked header from a Dean Keates corner also went along the six-yard box.

The game had gone a little quiet when Wycombe eventually took the lead, but it would be hard to argue they didn't deserve it.

McLeod was the creator, playing a ball into the middle from the left which reached Betsy at the far post - the forward slotted it back across Szczesny and into the corner.

He almost had a second when he tried to reach a Matt Harrold ball but Szczesny punched it off his foot and the clearance lead to Brentford's best opening of the first half.

The Bees worked it down the left to Akinde, who slipped past Luke Oliver and darted forward, he cut it back to the rampaging Ryan Dickson who cut inside Keates but blasted over from eight yards with his right foot.

Szczesny palmed away a Betsy effort as Wycombe looked for a second, McLeod had a shot deflected wide and a bouncing half volley from John Mousinho also missed the target.

Central defender Oliver had a great chance early in the second period when he was found by McLeod in acres of space inside the area but he was in two minds and neither shot or picked out a team mate.

Keates shot well wide soon after as Wycombe continued to hold the upper hand.

Brentford almost presented them with a second goal when they failed to clear the ball, not helped by a series of uneven bounces, it fell to Betsy, who blasted into the side netting.

Charlie MacDonald saw a snap-shot fly into the arms of Heaton before a lofted Tommy Smith shot was also saved by the on-loan goalkeeper.

Brentford introduced Carl Cort and Lionel Ainsworth as they looked for a way back into the game and it finally came inside the last 15 minutes.

Ainsworth lashed a volley over from a Weston cross before the latter levelled it up.

Cort and MacDonald combined to win a loose ball and the latter spread it wide to Weston, he took a touch 18 yards out and threaded a shot into the bottom corner across Heaton.

Within minutes a breakdown in communication almost handed Wycombe the lead once more - Szczesny and Smith collided on the edge of the box as they tried to reach a long ball, it dropped to Revell, who turned it towards goal but substitute Sam Wood cleared off the line.

But it was Brentford who finished the better, and they spent most of the last 10 minutes inside the Wycombe half looking for the winner.

They were, however, unable to create a clear cut opening and had to settled for the draw.

Brentford: Szczesny; Foster, Legge, Smith, Dickson (sub Wood 56 mins); Saunders (sub Ainsworth h/t), O'Connor, Diagouraga, Weston; Akinde (sub Cort 64 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used); Moore, Phillips, Hunt, Strevens

Wycombe Wanderers: Heaton; Hunt, Oliver, Westwood, Woodman; Betsy, Mousinho, Keates, McLeod; Harrold (sub Pittman 81 mins), Revell

Subs (not used): Shearer, Pittman, Montrose, Phillips, Beavon, Payne, Ainsworth

Bookings: Oliver (82 mins)

Attendance: 5,740 (888 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports