Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Mar 10 at 18:42 PM


Charlie MacDonald scored the only goal of the game as Brentford clinched victory in the north west against Stockport County.

The striker notched his 11th of the campaign from all of four inches seconds after half time to earn The Bees the points.

And it was no more than Brentford deserved - they probably shaded an even first half and were by far the better team after the break.

Stockport goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams had to make a few vital saves to keep the score down and was much busier than opposite number Wojciech Szczesny.

On a very poor pitch there was little football played but the visitors played the better of it.

They could have been ahead inside 90 seconds - MacDonald fed Ben Strevens who played it on to Toumani Diagouraga, he slipped it wide to Myles Weston who picked out Strevens with the cross - his volley looked set to hit the back of the net but a combination of the flying Fon Williams and the head of Johnny Mullins diverted it wide.

But Stockport probably had the better of the first 15 minutes - Jabo Ibhere missed a gilt-edged chance when he blazed over from seven yards after good work by Mat Sadler and the striker headed wide soon after.

Strevens volleyed wide at the other end before MacDonald headed wide after Weston - who tormented Andy Halls all afternoon - stood a cross to the far post.

Richie Partridge shot straight at Szczesny and the Polish goalkeeper made an important save with his legs when George Donnelly raced clear one-on-one.

The hosts had another opening when Ibhere twisted past Karleigh Osborne but pulled his shot across Szczesny and wide of the far post from 15 yards.

Mullins made an important block from a curling Strevens effort just before half time and MacDonald went close when he latched onto a long Leon Legge ball but Fon Williams came rushing out and blocked his effort.

But seconds after the break the striker could not miss.

Weston was the architect, he picked up a Kevin O'Connor pass, teased his way past Halls again and chipped the ball over Fon Williams - it was on its way in but MacDonald made sure anyway.

Ibhere should have levelled within seconds, he got in behind the Brentford defence and rounded Szczesny, who came charging out, he went a little wide but still had an open goal to aim at - inexplicably, he rolled it wide.

And - apart from a Donnelly shot which clipped the top of the bar late on - that was as close as Stockport came to levelling it up.

MacDonald had claims for a penalty turned down when Mullins appeared to barge him over in the box and Sam Wood had a low shot turned wide by Fon Williams after a Strevens lay off.

The Welsh goalkeeper made another good save from a chipped Weston effort while at the other end, long range efforts from Greg Tansey and David Perkins missed the target, although the latter did not miss by much.

Strevens should have sealed it at the death when he robbed Halls and went through one-on-one but he dithered and Mullins got back to tackle before Marcus Bean had a late shot deflected wide.

The Bees played out nearly six minutes of stoppage time before the match was brought to a close and they sealed their fourth away win of the season.

Stockport County: Fon Williams; Halls, Mullins, Huntington, Sadler; Partridge (sub Fisher 80 mins), Tansey (sub Vincent 71 mins), Perkins, Poole; Donnelly, Ibhere

Subs (not used): Gerrard, Turnbull, Rowe, S. Barnes, L. Barnes

Bookings: Tansey (13 mins), Donnelly (73 mins), Sadler (75 mins), Partridge (75 mins)

Brentford: Szczesny; Foster, Legge, Osborne, Dickson (sub Hunt 86 mins); Wood, O'Connor, Diagouraga (sub Bean 59 mins), Weston; MacDonald, Strevens

Subs (not used): Price, Blake, Saunders, Ainsworth, Cort

Bookings: Foster (24 mins) (fourth of season), Strevens (90 mins) (third of season)

Attendance: 3,707

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports