Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 05 Apr 10 at 19:03 PM


Brentford and Exeter City played out a Bank Holiday draw at Griffin Park.

It was a game of few chances and little action where defences dominated and neither attack had the spark to make the breakthrough.

The Bees looked tired, as a result of playing their eighth game in 23 days, but probably had the better of it after a slow start.

They did not, however, really look like scoring, except from set pieces, while the visitors seemed happy to settle for 0-0 from quite early on.

The visitors started brightly, their three man central midfield enabled them to get a lot of the ball and they created early openings.

Ryan Harley had a shot deflected wide, Marcus Stewart lofted an effort over and Stuart Fleetwood headed a Scott Golbourne cross over Wojciech Szczesny's goal.

The Bees stopper was called into action to save a low Fleetwood effort while at the other end Paul Jones had to save well to his right when Leon Legge powerfully met a long throw from stand-in captain David Hunt.

Myles Weston had a shot saved when Legge nodded down another Hunt throw while Szczesny saved from James Dunne at the other end.

The Bees switched from their 4-4-2 system to 4-5-1 midway through the first half and Exeter's dominance ceased.

The home side almost took the lead just before the half hour when a free kick was cleared to Hunt, his low shot found Charlie MacDonald, who turned and fired towards goal, the effort was blocked and Weston couldn't turn in the re-bound.

Lewis Grabban and Harley traded off-target shots before Szczesny saved from Liam Sercombe while MacDonald had a shot blocked and Marcus Bean headed wide at the other end.

Pim Balkestein headed wide late in the first half while George Friend curled a free kick over early in the second and Golbourne forced Szczesny into a low save.

The Bees thought they had earned a penalty when MacDonald got to the by-line and picked out Weston at the far post, he found himself surrounded by defenders and appeared to have his leg taken away by Steve Tully as he prepared to shoot from six yards but referee Mick Russell waved away the appeals.

And neither team came particularly close to scoring after that.

Fleetwood headed wide, Weston missed the target with a long range shot and Balkestein made an important block and tackle from a pair of Ryan Taylor efforts.

Balkestein headed wide and then couldn't direct another effort from a Lionel Ainsworth cross before Bean shot wide from 25 yards.

Karleigh Osborne lashed an effort well wide and Ben Strevens had a shot blocked but there was little to cheer for either set of fans as the game drifted to a close.

Brentford: Szczesny; Osborne, Legge, Balkestein, Wood; Hunt, Bean, Diagouraga, Weston (sub Strevens 88 mins); Grabban (sub Ainsworth 69 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Moore, Foster, Blake, Saunders, Cort

Exeter City: Jones; Duffy, Taylor, Friend; Tully, Sercombe, Harley, Dunne, Golbourne; Stewart (sub Taylor 63 mins), Fleetwood (sub Logan 63 mins (sub Burnell 79 mins))

Subs (not used): Marriott, Cozic, Saunders, Heath

Attendance: 6, 017

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports