Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Apr 10 at 19:21 PM


Sam Saunders first Brentford goal secured a 1-1 draw against Yeovil Town that extended The Bees' unbeaten run to 11 games.

Saunders curled a free kick past Alex McCarthy and into the corner of Yeovil's net with 15 minutes remaining to level it up after the visitors had taken an early lead through a hotly-disputed penalty.

After Gavin Tomlin's opener Brentford dominated almost exclusively and it would have been a travesty if they had not got at least a share of the spoils.

The Yeovil goal came before any sort of pattern had been established - although Leon Legge had seen a header saved by McCarthy - and it probably lead them into a defensive outlook.

The goal itself was perhaps fortunate - an Andrew Welsh corner was nodded down by Terrell Forbes towards Jean-Paul Kalala on the edge of the area, he collided with Charlie MacDonald and the ball bounced up and hit the Brentford striker's arm and referee Graham Horwood pointed to the spot.

The Brentford players appealed the decision - which was the first in a long line of questionable ones by the officials - but Tomlin ignored the protests to send Wojciech Szczesny the wrong way.

Picking the ball out of the net was just about the only thing the Polish goalkeeper did in the first 35 minutes, and he did not have a save to make until the later stages, as Brentford poured forward.

Ben Strevens had a shot saved, Lionel Ainsworth shot wide and then had a deflected effort saved before Toumani Diagouraga had a shot blocked.

Sam Wood was almost the catalyst for an equaliser with a great burst forward, he fed Charlie MacDonald and his low cross would have been diverted into his own net by Craig Alcock if it were not for a fine McCarthy save.

McCarthy had to prevent another own goal with a save from a Keiran Murtagh header and Legge headed wide as Brentford pressed - by now Yeovil had reverted to using Dean Bowditch as a lone front man and were content to defend.

David Hunt shot wildly over and then forced a low save from McCarthy with a free kick before Saunders curled an effort narrowly wide.

Yeovil finally had another effort on goal moments before half time when Alcock flicked a header across the face of goal but The Bees went into the break scratching their heads as to how they were behind.

Murtagh shot over early in the half for Yeovil but the second period continued in a similar pattern - a low Hunt free kick was well saved and McCarthy held another Legge header.

Yeovil began to get a grip on it as the game reached the hour mark and chances began to dry up - Steven Caulker looped a header onto the top of Szczesny's net and then headed wide but just when it seemed Brentford may be frustrated Saunders superbly curled home from 20 yards to level it up.

Strevens headed wide soon after for Brentford and O'Connor shot wide but The Bees were indebted to another superb late save from Szczesny to give them a point.

Caulker darted forward on the right and pulled it back towards Kalala, his first time shot looked destined for the net before the Polish stopper dived low to keep it out.

And it was enough to preserve the equilibrium and ensure the game finished all square.

Brentford: Szczesny; O'Connor, Osborne, Legge, Wood; Ainsworth (sub Blake 60 mins), Hunt, Diagouraga, Saunders (sub Phillips 84 mins); MacDonald, Strevens

Subs (not used): Bull, Ferrell, Franks

Yeovil Town: McCarthy; Alcock, Caulker, Forbes, Smith; Williams (sub Ayling 43 mins), Murtagh, Kalala, Welsh (sub Davies 62 mins); Tomlin, Bowditch

Subs (not used): Martin, Jones, Stam, Murray, Hutchins

Bookings: Alcock (51 mins)

Attendance: 5,395 (431 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports