Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Oct 10 at 17:57 PM


Kevin O'Connor scored a goal in each half as Brentford recorded their first away victory of the League One season against Tranmere Rovers.

The skipper slammed home a penalty in the first half and scored direct from a free kick in the second as The Bees secured a 3-0 win.

Marcus Bean added a third with ten minutes remaining to seal a comprehensive victory.

It was no more than Brentford deserved, they were the better team for almost the entire game and although much of the match was far from pretty, the visitors played the better football and looked far more incisive.

The game kicked off with an eerie atmosphere, the home fans very quiet and waiting for something to happen.

Brentford started brighter, playing all the football the was on show and within seven minutes they were ahead.

The Bees had the ball in the net five minutes in when Charlie MacDonald beat Scott Wootton to a long ball and lashed in but referee David Webb, with the help of his assistant, judged there had been a foul.

Minutes later the same pair of officials were in the action, MacDonald swung in a cross looking for Gary Alexander and Mr Webb pointed to the penalty spot to signify Aaron Cresswell had handled.

O'Connor drilled his spot kick under Peter Gulacsi to open the scoring.

Brentford moved the ball well at times, boosted by the goal, and were very combative in midfield.

Tranmere's best openings came when they were able to manoeuvre the ball around the Brentford midfield and get it wide.

They almost created an equaliser when Dale Jennings broke free on the left and tried to pick out Arnaud Mendy but Leon Legge made a superb saving tackle.

Brentford should have doubled their lead when Michael Spillane headed an O'Connor free kick back across but Alexander shot over.

Jennings fired a couple of efforts wide for the hosts but Brentford finished the half stronger.

MacDonald almost created a second with a cross that cannoned off Tranmere defender Ian Goodison and flew narrowly over the bar.

Alexander set up MacDonald for a shooting opportunity but he couldn't get an effort away and Liam Darville cleared.

Seconds before the break Myles Weston fired over for The Bees, who would have gone in at half time very happy with their work.

Tranmere came out after the break determined to find a way back into the game, and with Brentford happy to attack on the break at pace, the game improved as a spectacle.

Legge made an important early block from a Lucas Akins shot while at the other end Wootton blocked an Alexander effort and the striker lashed the re-bound over.

Tranmere were having slightly the better of the second half chances - Enoch Showunmi headed wide and then forced Ben Hamer into a save with his legs after a quick break.

Legge made another important block from the increasingly influential Showunmi, who blasted the re-bound over, and Goodison headed wide soon after.

Goodison should probably have equalised when he met a long Cresswell free kick at the far post but he headed wide and Akins shot over soon after.

The killer second goal came just before the midway point of the second half.

O'Connor curled in a free kick from the inside left channel towards the far post, it beat the arriving MacDonald, Alexander and Weston and also Gulacsi who watched in horror as it nestled in the far corner.

That seemed to knock the stuffing out of Tranmere and Brentford had chances to wrap it up.

Weston broke free on the left and shot straight at Gulacsi rather than cutting back to MacDonald and Alexander.

But with ten minutes remaining, from a similar position, the win was sealed.

MacDonald found space on the left and cut the ball back, Sam Wood let it run and Bean lashed in from ten yards.

Ryan Fraughan curled an effort over as Tranmere tried in vain for a riposte and Showunmi had the ball in the net only to see the offside flag up.

A Sam Morrow clearance cannoned into substitute Lewis Grabban and Gulacsi saved low before Fraughan shot over at the other end.

Wood had a header deflected wide in the dying seconds as Brentford sought a fourth.

The hosts continued to push but couldn't find a way back into the game and The Bees left with the points.

Tranmere Rovers: Gulacsi; Darville, Wootton, Goodison, Cresswell; Welsh, McLaren (sub Fraughan 65 mins), Mendy; Akins (sub Morrow 72 mins), Showunmi, Jennings

Subs (not used): Collister, Cathalina, Blanchard, Bakayogo, McGurk

Bookings: Darville (19 mins)

Brentford: Hamer; Spillane, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Wood, O'Connor, Bean, Weston; MacDonald, Alexander (sub Grabban 84 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, McCracken, Balkestein, Saunders, Hunt, Diagouraga

Bookings: MacDonald (67 mins), Alexander (78 mins)

Attendance: 4,929

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports