Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 25 Oct 10 at 11:57 AM


Brentford came from behind to record their third League One win in four over high-flying Peterborough United.

The visitors took the lead through a controversial twice-taken Grant McCann penalty but The Bees hit back.

Craig Woodman levelled up before half time and Gary Alexander headed the winner just before the hour mark.

It was no more than The Bees deserved, they dominated large periods of the match and created numerous chances against the hard-pressed Peterborough back line.

And the expensively-assembled Peterborough forward line were limited to half chances as Brentford recorded a fine win.

Peterborough, befitting a team that started the day in second, started brightly and had the early chances.

The Posh have the division's best goal scoring record and the attacking trio of Aaron Mclean, Craig Mackail-Smith and George Boyd caused early problems.

From a quick Tommy Rowe throw, Mclean set up Mackail-Smith and Ben Hamer had to get down well to save low from his right.

Moments later Mclean shot over on the turn while at the other end Michael Spillane blazed over and Woodman fired narrowly over after a nice run.

Brentford grew steadily into the game and could have edged ahead when a Spillane cross was flicked on by Alexander but it narrowly eluded Charlie MacDonald at the far post.

Mclean shot over for the visitors when a ball bobbled across the area but the game was plunged into controversy minutes later.

Boyd found space on the left and got past Wood, his cross cannoned into the arm of the sliding Spillane and referee David Phillips pointed to the penalty spot.

Grant McCann saw his first effort superbly saved by Hamer to his right but Mr Phillips, on the advice of his junior assistant, ordered it to be re-taken as he judged the Brentford goalkeeper had moved off his line.

He waved away the Brentford protests, led by Hamer, and McCann scored at the second attempt, high to Hamer's left.

Strangely, Peterborough shrank after the goal and seemed content to sit back on their controversial lead.

A nervous looking Joe Lewis palmed a Woodman up and under over his own bar and Spillane headed over from the corner.

By the midway point of the half, Brentford were creating all the chances.

Karleigh Osborne headed wide, Lewis punched away a Kevin O'Connor free kick and Spillane nodded over soon after.

MacDonald missed a golden chance when he headed wide from a Sam Wood free kick but the goal Brentford had been promising came soon after.

Woodman lined up a free kick from 20 yards and - in a moment very reminiscent of the goal scored by O'Connor in the 3-0 win at Tranmere Rovers last week - curled it towards the far post, it beat everyone and, with Lewis stranded, nestled in the net.

The Posh goalkeeper, who was in the England reckoning a couple of years ago, would have been disappointed as it did not go very close to the corner.

With Griffin Park now rocking, The Bees poured forward and could have been ahead before half time.

Alexander brought a superb save out of Lewis with a low shot when a cross went all the way across the Peterborough area and Osborne headed wide soon after.

Peterborough could have gone in ahead when Hamer rushed out to clear a long ball but only found Arron Davies, but his attempt to loft it into the net was miss-hit and rolled slowly back to the Brentford stopper.

The first half had been rip-roaring entertainment, and the second continued in the same vein, albeit with few early chances.

But Brentford had the upper hand and completed the turnaround just before the hour mark.

Peterborough, for the umpteenth time, failed to clear and Woodman put over a cross, Wood headed back across and Alexander powered in from ten yards.

Brentford were already in control but, having taken the lead, were now rampant.

Wood picked up a poor Lewis clearance and fired it back, forcing the stopper to scramble across and turn it around the post.

Spillane headed narrowly over and Lewis punched an O'Connor free kick off Alexander's head.

The Bees came within a whisker of a third when substitute Lewis Grabban got round the back and found Alexander with the cut back, Lewis got a hand on his shot and, with the help of his defence, scrambled it off the line.

And they really should have had a third when Myles Weston found Alexander with a cross but the striker volleyed wide from ten yards.

Peterborough made three substitutions as they attempted to force their way back into the game and created a few openings.

Hamer saved a Kelvin Langmead header and then reacted superbly to block at the feet of Mclean before Alexander looped a header over his own bar.

Osborne headed wide as Brentford sought a third but there were few late chances, even with five minutes of added time.

Leon Legge made a fine block from Mclean and Boyd fired wide but Peterborough ran out of ideas, and Brentford ran out winners.

Brentford: Hamer; Spillane, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Wood, Bean, O'Connor, Weston; MacDonald (sub Grabban 62 mins), Alexander

Subs (not used): Lee, McCracken, Hunt, Diagouraga, Simpson, Forster

Bookings: Osborne (17 mins) (third of season), Spillane (86 mins) (third of season)

Peterborough United: Lewis; Little, Langmead, Zakuani, Rowe (sub Ofori-Twumasi 73 mins); Davies (sub Mendez-Laing 58 mins), McCann, Frecklington (sub Wesolowski 65 mins), Boyd; Mclean, Mackail-Smith

Subs (not used): Collis, Lee, Hibbert, Bennett

Bookings: Mackail-Smith (86 mins), Zakuani (87 mins)

Attendance: 6,543 (1,449 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports