Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Oct 10 at 17:40 PM


Brentford ran riot at St James' Park as they scored three times in 11 second half minutes to record a 4-2 win against Exeter City.

The Bees went ahead early on through Leon Legge but were pegged back by the hosts, who dominated long periods of the first half and the early stages of the second.

In a crazy game Brentford stayed in contention and when the chance came to win they game they grabbed it with both hands.

Gary Alexander and Sam Wood scored in quick succession and as Exeter fell to pieces Charlie MacDonald sealed the win with a fourth.

Exeter pulled another one back and pushed for a leveller but could not break down a hard-working Brentford defence.

And there was still time for Exeter goalkeeper Paul Jones to save two penalties in an entertaining and enjoyable game.

Brentford started very well and were ahead inside four minutes.

Kevin O'Connor lifted in a corner and Legge looped a head over Paul Jones - who seemed to be distracted by Brentford attackers in front of him - and into the net.

The visitors could have been a couple up before Exeter woke up - Myles Weston got in behind Steve Tully and whipped a ball in that was cleared and The Bees had the ball in the net again soon after.

O'Connor fired in a shot from the edge of the box that took a deflection, Paul Jones kept it out but Alexander poked it in, only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Exeter were forced into a substitution soon after when John O'Flynn had to be withdrawn and replaced by Jamie Cureton and with the game already turning in the way of the home side, it seemed to give them a big boost.

Ryan Harley had already gone close when he got in behind from an O'Flynn ball but Karleigh Osborne made a tackle and Ben Hamer saved.

Harley set up Cureton, who forced Hamer into a save from a curling shot and Liam Sercombe fired over soon after.

The goal Exeter had been threatening came just before the half hour - and in the way they had been threatening it.

Harley lifted the ball over the top and Cureton, who had been making lots of good runs in behind but seemed suspiciously offside on this occasion, raced in behind and lashed in past Hamer to level it up.

Wood shot over for Brentford but Exeter held the upper hand.

Cureton should have made it two when he got in behind again but slashed a shot wide at the near post and the striker had another shot saved when the ball pin-balled around the box.

The Bees managed to get into the break all square despite being under the cosh for long periods and they faced similar pressure in the early stages of the second half.

Richard Logan fired wide from distance and then forced Hamer into a save with a header before Legge made a vital clearance from a Harley volley.

But Brentford stayed in contention, and two goals in two minutes sealed the win.

The first came when Weston fired over a corner which Paul Jones watched sail over his head, Charlie MacDonald knocked it back across and Alexander poked in from close range.

Alexander was withdrawn to be replaced by Robbie Simpson and the new man's first touch was to flick the ball into the path of MacDonald, he fed Wood, who nipped in ahead of the hapless Paul Jones and poked home.

Sercombe fired wide for Exeter and Weston had a shot deflected over but three became four moments later.

Wood won a tackle midway inside the Exeter half when he had no right to and found MacDonald in acres of space, the Brentford hit-man slotted home to send the 500 Brentford fans into raptures.

It could have been five when, after Paul Jones again flapped at a cross, MacDonald knocked it back across and Marcus Bean's effort was kept out by the Exeter keeper.

David McCracken flashed a header inches past the post but Exeter went down the other end and Cureton headed them back into contention when all alone at the back post.

That led to an end-to-end last ten minutes.

Brentford were awarded a penalty when Weston was brought down by Jake Thomson but O'Connor fired it straight down the middle and Paul Jones stood still and saved with his feet.

Exeter went down the other end and McCracken cleared a Tory Archibald-Henville effort off the line before Hamer tipped over a fierce Billy Jones shot.

Cureton flashed a shot wide form the edge of the box in stoppage time before a crazy game ended in a crazy fashion.

Wood was brought crashing down by Archibald-Henville and this time Weston stepped up to take the penalty.

Paul Jones saved to his left, the ball cannoned off James Dunne, hit the post and broke back to Weston, who saw his second effort saved by the Exeter keeper.

Referee Darren Deadman brought the game to a close seconds later and Brentford left with the points.

Exeter City: P. Jones; Duffy, Archibald-Henville, B. Jones; Tully (sub Thomson 69 mins), Dunne, Harley (sub Noble 77 mins), Sercombe, Golbourne; Logan, O'Flynn (sub Cureton 12 mins)

Subs (not used): Krysiak, Cozic, Edwards, Stewart

Bookings: Duffy (89 mins)

Brentford: Hamer; Spillane (sub Wright 60 mins), Legge (sub McCracken 69 mins), Osborne, Woodman; Wood, Bean, O'Connor, Weston; MacDonald, Alexander (sub Simpson 62 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, Grabban, Diagouraga, Forster

Bookings: Woodman (21 mins), Bean (48 mins) (fourth of season), Spillane (57 mins) (fourth of season), Hamer (68 mins)

Attendance: 5,510 (500 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports