Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 at 22:27 PM


Brentford extended their unbeaten League One run to four games with a hard-earned 1-1 draw against AFC Bournemouth.

Bournemouth started very brightly, moving the ball well and will feel they had the better of the 90 minutes.

But that early football soon gave way to a more direct style and there was little incisive football in an error-strewn game.

Bournemouth took the lead through a Danny Hollands header but Brentford grabbed a point thanks to a Lewis Grabban penalty.

The visitors started strongly without creating too many early chances.

Lee Bradbury had a shot blocked and Richard Lee saved a near post Rhoys Wiggins free kick before Liam Feeney shot narrowly over.

Charlie MacDonald fired a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal early on but Brentford were being pushed back.

The visiting fans appealed for a penalty when Brentford failed to deal with a cross and the ball bounced up into Kevin O'Connor but referee Andy Woolmer gave nothing and the ball was scrambled away.

Hollands volleyed wide and Josh McQuoid missed the target with a flicked header but Bournemouth almost presented Brentford with a goal.

MacDonald darted through the middle to reach a simple ball as the visitors stood and watched - Shwan Jalal came and stopped and MacDonald shot under him, only to see the ball clip the outside of the post and roll wide.

Brentford were starting to come into the game - Myles Weston fizzed a shot wide soon after MacDonald's effort and the home side began to get control of the ball.

But it was Bournemouth who ended the half stronger.

Anton Robinson miss-kicked in front of goal when a long throw reached him ten yards out and McQuoid turned a Feeney free kick wide.

The dangerous Feeney forced Lee into a save from a deflected shot and then blazed wide after a quick break.

The start of the second half was more even, but also more scrappy.

Bournemouth had the early chances - Hollands bounced an effort wide from the edge of the box and McQuoid headed wide after Bradbury had nodded back across.

The goal Bournemouth had been threatening came just before the midway point of the second half - Wiggins curled in a free kick and Hollands flicked a header past Lee, who had no chance.

But Brentford were level almost immediately.

Nicky Forster, who had been introduced seconds earlier, flicked a Lee kick into the path of MacDonald and he went down under the challenge of Marvin Bartley.

Mr Woolmer pointed to the spot and substitute Grabban scored low to Jalal's right.

Hollands fired over from distance for Bournemouth and Feeney should have done better when he picked up a long ball, and was allowed to continue despite a fairly blatant handball, and looked set to race clear, but his touch was heavy and Leon Legge made a recovering tackle.

Weston shot over for Brentford late on and Wiggins almost won it with a fierce shot from a tight angle that flew narrowly over.

But with neither team able to create the match-winning opening, the spoils were shared.

Brentford: Lee; Wright, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Wood (sub Grabban 60 mins), Bean, O'Connor, Weston; Simpson (sub Forster 65 mins), MacDonald

Subs (not used): Hamer, Spillane, Balkestein, Saunders, Diagouraga

Bookings: Legge (45 mins) (second of season)

AFC Bournemouth: Jalal; Smith, Pearce, Bartley, Wiggins; Bradbury, Hollands, Robinson, Arter (sub Fletcher 71 mins), Feeney; McQuoid

Subs (not used): Taylor, Purches, Cummings, Stockley, Stewart

Bookings: Bradbury (32 mins), Wiggins (90 mins)

Attendance: 5,278 (952 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports