Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 16:53 PM


Brentford's unbeaten League One run was ended after four games by Milton Keynes Dons who struck twice in two second half minutes to record a 2-0 win.

The visitors had the better chances in the first half - albeit Brentford had more possession - and made it pay after the break.

Charlie MacDonald had two goals ruled out for The Bees for offside - the second, in particular, looking very close - but struggled to create clear cut openings against a well-organised MK defence.

Brentford started brightly, they pushed the visitors back early on and created half chances in and around the penalty area.

They could, however, have been a goal down inside the first six minutes.

Stephen Gleeson played a ball forward and Sam Baldock was allowed to bear down on goal despite appearing yards offside - Stephen Wright was able to get back and prevent Baldock shooting and Richard Lee gathered with the striker appealing to referee Fred Graham - who, like his junior assistant, was yards behind the play, he had been fouled.

The Bees had the ball in the net soon after through Charlie MacDonald, only for it to be ruled out for offside, and goalkeeper David Martin gathered a Pim Balkestein header soon after.

Gary Alexander shot over for Brentford and Martin gathered a header from the powerful striker with MacDonald set to pounce before Craig Woodman curled a free kick over the top.

The Dons nearly hit Brentford on the break when Alexander conceded possession on halfway and Mark Carrington fed Baldock, he bore down on goal but shot early under pressure from Karleigh Osborne and Lee saved low.

Osborne headed over for Brentford and Dan Woodards before the same man headed narrowly past his own post from a Kevin O'Connor corner.

Brentford had held the upper hand but MK were holding a good shape, making it hard for Brentford to break them down and - on occasions - putting three men on Myles Weston.

The visitors were still largely limited to chances on the break but Matthias Kouo-Doumbé should have done better than nod a Michael McIndoe cross straight at Lee.

The first half hour had provided little to excite the crowd, MK's tactics stifling Brentford's attacking instinct.

The visitors again proved their danger on the break when Baldock reached a long ball and rounded Lee, but he shot over from a tight angle.

And they probably should have gone in at half time ahead when Brentford failed to deal with a long ball and McIndoe fed Angelo Balanta, who had moved to the left of midfield, his curling shot cannoned away off the outside of the post.

The visitors ended the half with the upper hand and although Balkestein nodded wide late in the first 45 for The Bees they made a half time switch, introducing Robbie Simpson in place of Sam Wood in an attempt to improve their attacking play.

And it almost worked within minutes, Simpson set up MacDonald, who beat Martin with a low finish only to see the same assistant who allowed Baldock to go on early in the first half with his flag up early on the second.

Woodman almost opened the scoring with a low shot that Martin did very well to turn past the post but MK, after starting the second half slowly, began to ease their way back into it.

Lee had to be alert to turn a fierce Balanta shot around the post but moments later MK were ahead.

After one corner had been cleared, Carrington curled in the second and Kouo-Doumbé rose to head into the net.

And within two minutes MK had a second and the game was done - they broke quickly from a Brentford free kick and when The Bees failed to clear, Balanta lashed in from 20 yards.

The Bees tried to find a way back into the game - they almost got a goal when the ball pin-balled around the area, crashed into MacDonald and flew wide and Marcus Bean shot narrowly over.

But with a two-goal lead to hold on to, the visitors were in no mood to give Brentford anything.

They almost extended their lead when Lee saved at the feet of substitute Daniel Powell and Brentford's forgettable afternoon was compounded in the dying seconds.

Balkestein was booked for a foul on Powell and seconds later pulled back the forward, Mr Graham issued a second yellow card and sent the Dutchman off.

MacDonald almost created an opening for Simpson in stoppage time but Dean Lewington made a fine recovery tackle.

And with passes going astray and few chances created, Brentford ended a disappointing afternoon with no goals and no points.

Brentford: Lee; Wright, Osborne, Balkestein, Woodman; Wood (sub Simpson h/t), O'Connor, Bean, Weston (sub Forster 70 mins); MacDonald, Alexander

Subs (not used): Hamer, Spillane, Legge, Saunders, Diagouraga

Bookings: Woodman (28 mins) (second of season), Osborne (fifth of season) (suspended for one match, Aldershot Town, November 16)

Sent Off: Balkestein (suspended for one match, Aldershot Town, November 16)

Milton Keynes Dons: Martin; Gleeson, Kouo-Doumbé, Woodards, Lewington; Chadwick, Carrington, Leven, McIndoe (sub Guy 73 mins); Balanta (sub Ibhere 68 mins); Baldock (sub Powell 80 mins)

Subs (not used): Searle, Hamann, Chicksen, Johnson

Bookings: Carrington (59 mins), Guy (86 mins)

Attendance: 4,789 (368 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports