Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 Jan 11 at 16:57 PM


Gary Alexander struck a late winner as Brentford kicked off 2011 with a 2-1 home win over Dagenham and Redbridge.

The Bees extended their unbeaten run to five and made it four straight League One wins with the victory.

They took an early lead through Robbie Simpson but the visitors hit back and, thanks to a few good saved from goalkeeper Tony Roberts, looked set to hold on to earn a share of the spoils before Alexander's late intervention.

The visitors showed no intention early on to sit back - and Richard Lee saved a low Danny Green volley - but Brentford started brighter.

Alexander saw a looping header saved by Roberts and within ten minutes The Bees were in front with a goal that involved all the host's attacking players.

Alexander brought the ball down in the centre of the field and chipped it over the top for Sam Wood to run on to, he fed Charlie MacDonald and with Billy Bingham slipping the striker had only Roberts to beat - rather than shooting, he unselfishly squared it to Simpson who had the simplest of tasks to slot home.

Unfortunately, that was to be the last real involvement from Wood.

The combative midfield player went in for a tackle on the left and slid straight off the pitch into the advertising hoardings on the Braemar Road side of the ground, he was booked for catching Solomon Taiwo on his slide and the injury he suffered in the collision caused him to be replaced by Myles Weston.

Dagenham sought an immediate response to Brentford's goal - Lee saved a Bas Savage effort and the powerful striker should have done better than head over from a near post Medy Elito cross.

Roberts produced a fine save from a fierce Alexander volley and the striker then saw a shot blocked by Scott Doe.

Brentford looked set to score a second when a free kick was half cleared and it fell to MacDonald six yards out, Roberts somehow managed to save but with the flag inexplicably up for offside - the ball appearing to have been made towards the Dagenham goal by a visiting player - it proved to be irrelevant.

Brentford seemed to be well on top but the visitors struck back against the run of play.

Taiwo played a cross field pass and Green knocked it back into the box, where Romain Vincelot arrived to knock it home from close range.

Weston had a shot blocked for Brentford as a half which saw both teams happy to attack, the hosts with more intricacy than the visitors, came to a close.

But Brentford should have in ahead.

A Craig Woodman free kick dropped to Alexander and his shot was somehow cleared off the line by Will Antwi, the ball was knocked back in and dropped to Toumani Diagouraga 25 yards out, his shot fizzed off the crossbar and away to safety with Roberts stranded.

Green curled a free kick narrowly over in the dying seconds of the half and Antwi fired acrobatically wide early in the second.

The game died a little just after half time, Dagenham sat slightly deeper and Brentford were unable to get the ball into MacDonald and Alexander in the early stages of the second period.

But by the hour mark Brentford had the initiative again - Doe made a vital clearance when Simpson looked set to nod a Weston cross into MacDonald and Karleigh Osborne headed over from the resulting corner.

Elito should have given Dagenham and undeserved lead when Brentford missed a couple of defensive headers and the ball dropped to him 20 yards out, it sat up nicely for him but with only Lee to beat he sliced it wide.

The visitors went close again soon after when Lee palmed away a Bingham shot after a corner was half cleared and the goal scorer Vincelot blasted wide moments later.

Substitute Michael Spillane volleyed wide for Brentford but as time ticked on it looked lees likely there would be a winning goal.

Roberts had to make a superb save to deny MacDonald after the striker had picked up a Spillane pass, flicked his way past Doe and fired in a near post shot.

And at the other end Lee had to be alert to keep out another effort from Vincelot.

MacDonald screwed a shot wide at the near post after a fine move involving Spillane and Alexander and Vincelot blazed wide at the other end.

With time ticking on Brentford manager Andy Scott threw on Nicky Forster and with his first touch he won Brentford the game.

The experienced striker refused to give up a ball on the left side of the area and when he eventually won it he curled a cross in that Alexander nodded home from close range.

Oluwafemi Ilesanmi almost snatched a point with a low shot that flew wide at the near post but Brentford got what they deserved, albeit only just.

Brentford: Lee; Wright, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Simpson (sub Spillane 69 mins), O'Connor, Diagouraga, Wood (sub Weston 15 mins (sub Forster 87 mins)); Alexander, MacDonald

Subs (not used): Hamer, McCracken, Balkestein, Blake, Forster

Bookings: Wood (14 mins) (second of season)

Dagenham and Redbridge: Roberts; Ogogo, Doe, Antwi, Ilesanmi; Green, Bingham, Taiwo, Vincelot, Elito; Savage

Subs (not used): Lewington, Nurse, Scott, Palsson, Currie, Gain, Oshodi

Bookings: Antwi (32 mins)

Attendance: 5,405 (418 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports