Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 06 Jan 11 at 14:59 PM


Brentford's first away game of 2011 ended in defeat as they were beaten 3-1 at Dean Court by AFC Bournemouth.

The home side led at half time after having the better of the early stages but Brentford just about deserved to be level when they scored midway through the second half.

However, Bournemouth hit back within minutes to score a crucial second goal and with home goalkeeper Shwan Jalal saving a Charlie MacDonald penalty and Steve Fletcher striking a late third, Brentford could find no way back.

The home side started brightly, they had much the better of the first 15 minutes and deserved to be ahead.

The goal came from a Rhoys Wiggins corner in the 11th minute that was nodded down and headed in by Liam Feeney.

Richard Lee had already saved from Lee Bradbury, Danny Ings volleyed wide, Marc Pugh fired straight at Lee and Anton Robinson had an effort tipped over as Bournemouth ran riot in the opening stages.

But Brentford slowly got a foothold in the game, albeit without creating too many openings.

Gary Alexander headed a Kevin O'Connor corner over and Marcus Bean had a shot blocked while at the other end Adam Smith blasted a shot well off target.

Brentford made a change just past the half hour when Myles Weston was brought on to replace Toumani Diagouraga and the visitors, who were already getting on top territorially, had more threat.

Shaun Cooper headed a wickedly curling Kevin O'Connor free kick narrowly over his own bar while Ings had a shot deflected wide at the other end.

The Bees should have levelled just before half time when Nicky Forster picked up a weak Wiggins back pass and fired the ball across, Alexander arrived but shot over on the stretch from eight yards with the goal gaping.

The home side started the second half as they started the first, on the front foot, albeit with fewer openings.

Wiggins lashed a shot across the face of goal that just eluded Bradbury and Leon Legge cleared from a similar Pugh effort.

Once again Brentford improved as the half wore on and by the time the game reached the hour mark they looked the most likely to score.

MacDonald turned a Forster nod down narrowly wide and when the same two combined soon after the former forced a superb one handed save from Jalal with a powerful header.

Brentford thought they should have had a penalty when Feeney appeared to handle a fierce shot but seconds later they were level.

Bournemouth just couldn't clear their lines and when the ball was played into the box Forster fired it back across and Bradbury turned it into his own net under pressure from Alexander.

The game was already turning into a rip-roaring Bank Holiday encounter and the goal only served to crack up the action.

Bradbury smacked a shot against the angle of post and crossbar from a well-worked short corner and Michael Spillane made a vital block from a Feeney shot soon after.

Brentford just couldn't get the ball away and Jason Pearce knocked it to Feeney at the far post, he fired it across and Marvin Bartley turned it in from close range to give his side the lead for the second time.

The home side then proceeded to give Brentford a chance for an immediate response.

Pearce headed the ball away and Cooper inexplicably controlled it with his hand leaving referee James Linington with little option but to award a penalty.

Unfortunately Jalal bailed his team mate out as MacDonald's low penalty was saved to his right by the Bournemouth stopper.

Jalal made an equally spectacular save soon after when he tipped over a powerful Craig Woodman free kick and Legge headed over soon after.

The killer third goal came when Spillane was robbed in the centre of the field and the ball was fed to Feeney, he knocked it across and Fletcher, so often Brentford's nemesis, slotted home.

Bartley shot over as Bournemouth sought a fourth but it proved not to matter for the home side, who took the points and handed Brentford a first defeat since mid-November.

AFC Bournemouth: Jalal; Smith, Cooper, Pearce, Wiggins; Bradbury, Robinson, Bartley, Feeney; Pugh (sub Fletcher 62 mins); Ings (sub Hollands 80 mins)

Subs (not used): Stewart, Hollands, Arter, Symes, Taylor, Cummings

Bookings: Smith (67 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Wright, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Bean (sub Spillane h/t), Diagouraga (sub Weston 37 mins), O'Connor, Forster (sub Simpson 85 mins); MacDonald, Alexander

Subs (not used): Hamer, McCracken, Balkestein, Blake

Attendance: 6,877 (941 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports