Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 at 19:09 PM


Myles Weston trebled his season's goal tally in one afternoon as Nicky Forster's first match as Brentford interim manager ended in a home win.

The winger - who had only hit the net once this term before today, against Oldham Athletic in October - scored a goal in each half as The Bees defeated Plymouth Argyle 2-0 at Griffin Park.

And it was the least the home side - and interim boss Foster, who replaced Andy Scott on Thursday - deserved.

The attacking ability of Weston, Sam Saunders, Gary Alexander and Charlie MacDonald was too much for the hosts, who were indebted to goalkeeper David Button for keeping them in the game.

In a bright first 25 minutes, both teams had chances.

Brentford started well, moving the ball wide with pace and looking to isolate Weston and Saunders on their respective full backs.

Toumani Diagouraga fired over when one Weston cross was half cleared while at the other end, Rory Fallon shot wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Kari Arnason came closest to opening the scoring in the early stages when he lashed a dipping shot against Richard Lee's crossbar while, from a similar distance, Marcel Seip hit an effort out of the ground.

Alexander pulled a shot wide before a fine move almost created the first goal - Saunders reverse pass released Weston, he pulled the ball across for the arriving MacDonald, the striker connected at full stretch but somehow Button kept the ball out from point blank range.

Craig Woodman shot wide for Brentford before Seip blocked a fierce MacDonald shot after a nice turn and Rory Patterson blazed well over at the other end.

The goal Brentford's wide players, who were swapping sides to good effect, had been threatening to create came with ten minutes of the first half remaining, and they were both involved.

MacDonald and Alexander were just unable to open up room for a shot but the ball was fed wide to Saunders, he lifted the ball into the box and Weston met it with a powerful downward header that Button could not keep out.

Plymouth had chances to level before the break, Carl Fletcher had a shot blocked and Fallon sliced an effort wide while Joe Mason missed the target with an acrobatic effort just after the re-start.

But Brentford got the second goal of the afternoon ten minutes after half time.

MacDonald led the break, holding the ball up and working his way free - he fed Weston, who was racing down the right, he cut inside and curled a shot into the top corner past the helpless Button.

Brentford were by now rampant - Leon Legge saw an overhead effort drift wide, Button saved a chipped effort from Weston after another run down the right and then made a low save from MacDonald's acrobatic near post effort.

Plymouth began to re-group - Mason headed a long throw wide and Karleigh Osborne made a fine recovery tackle when it looked like Fallon would latch on to a long ball.

But Brentford were soon on top and, with Saunders replaced by Grabban as Forster sought to rest the player making first start since mid-December, Weston was again to the fore.

The winger shot into the side netting and then forced Button to punch a cross off the head of Alexander.

Chris Clark blasted wide for Argyle but all the action was at the other end, and Button was the busiest man on the pitch.

He tipped a Woodman free kick over the bar and got down low to keep out an Alexander header from the resulting corner.

He then tipped an Osborne header over the top before another Alexander header was blocked and the over-worked Button held on to Osborne's follow-up effort.

Nicholas Bignall narrowly failed to head in another Weston cross in stoppage time.

Substitute Krisztian Timar blasted over late on but Lee ended the afternoon untroubled and Forster added a clean sheet to his three points to end a very good first game in charge.

Brentford: Lee; O'Connor, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Saunders (sub Grabban 66 mins), Diagouraga, Tudur Jones (sub Bean 73 mins), Weston; MacDonald, Alexander (sub Bignall 84 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Wright, Balkestein, Spillane

Bookings: Osborne (37 mins) (seventh of season)

Plymouth Argyle: Button; Zubar, Nelson, Seip, Duguid; Mason,Clark, Fletcher, Patterson (sub Timar 82 mins); Arnason, Fallon (sub Young 68 mins)

Subs (not used): Larrieu, N'Gala, Stephens, Peterlin

Bookings: Arnason (84 mins)

Attendance: 5,613 (1,021 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports