Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Feb 11 at 16:55 PM


Brentford extended their unbeaten run under interim manager Nicky Forster to three games but had to settle for a point against Milton Keynes Dons.

The Bees once again dominated long stages of the match, both before they fell behind and after Lewis Grabban had scored a deserved equaliser.

The game was so open for so long that a winner seemed inevitable, but neither team could find it and the spoils were shared.

In a lively first 20 minutes, both teams will feel they could have taken the lead.

MK were the first to show - Stephen Gleeson had a shot deflected wide before Keanu Marsh-Brown missed the target with a sliced effort after a short corner.

Richard Lee was the first goalkeeper called into action when he kept out a low Rowan Vine shot and Jabo Ibhere headed wide soon after.

But Brentford probably had the better of the first half hour once they had got through the first ten minutes.

Sam Saunders shot wide after a good run from deep and MK goalkeeper David Martin made a fine save to deny Myles Weston when he latched onto a clever Gary Alexander pass and went through one-on-one.

Grabban also could have scored when he picked up a lofted Kevin O'Connor pass but he shot wide when well placed.

Ibhere lifted an effort straight at Lee before Saunders had a golden chance when he beat the MK offside trap to reach a Craig Woodman pass in the left channel, rather than shooting, the wide man tried to find Weston and rolled the ball across the face of goal.

Alexander was just unable to force a shot in when a corner fell to him as Brentford began to take control, but MK were by no means shot-less.

Ibhere should have done better than shoot straight at Lee when Leon Legge failed to deal with a Daniel Powell cross and Marsh-Brown fired straight into the crowd after cutting inside.

Saunders curled an effort wide of the far post in the dying seconds of the half but Brentford had to be content with going in level, despite the feeling they were having the better of it.

MK started the second half well, Powell fired into the side netting early on and they were ahead inside three minutes.

Luke Chadwick broke the offside trap and got into the penalty area on the left, he squared for Marsh-Brown to tap home.

Ibhere should have made it two but he headed straight at Lee and seconds later Brentford were level.

The Bees had been behind for less than two minutes when Legge chipped a ball forward and Grabban, behind the defence, brought it down and fired in.

Vine could have restored the home side's lead but shot wide when well placed, as did Marsh-Brown when he was inexplicably allowed to run clear despite appearing yards offside.

Brentford thought they had a penalty when Alexander went down under the challenge of Matthias Kouo-Doumbe but referee David Coote instead booked him for diving.

And Kouo-Doumbe was in the action at the other end soon after when a run from deep resulted in a fierce left foot shot that flew narrowly wide.

Alexander had a shot blocked for Brentford but the game was see-sawing from end to end, both teams attacking with numbers and happy to have their wide players roaming to find the space to create.

Brentford were almost presented with the lead when a poor Martin clearance fell to Marcus Bean, the midfield man shot from fully 40 yards and saw the ball bounce off the crossbar, Alexander following up could only head over with the goal at his mercy.

The Bees came close again soon after when Weston sprinted down the left, leaving makeshift right back Gleeson in his wake, his cross eluded Alexander but Saunders fed it back to Robbie Simpson only for Kouo-Doumbe to recover and clear off the line.

Alexander did have the ball in the net soon after but it was ruled out for offside and Saunders rolled the ball across the face of goal from another break soon after, with Simpson just unable to turn it in.

Lee had to be alert at the other end to keep out an Ibhere effort and Weston fired into the side netting for The Bees.

Sean O'Hanlon headed wide for The Dons and Legge sliced a clearance straight in to the arms of Lee but neither team could find the crucial third goal to take the win.

Milton Keynes Dons: Martin; Kouo-Doumbe, O'Hanlon, Lewington, Chicksen (sub Hughes 63 mins); Powell, Chadwick, Gleeson, Marsh-Brown (sub Amoo 75 mins); Vine (sub Guy 68 mins), Ibhere

Subs (not used): Searle, Stirling, G. Baldock

Brentford: Lee; O'Connor (sub Spillane 50 mins), Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Saunders, Diagouraga (sub Tudur Jones 86 mins), Bean, Weston; Alexander, Grabban (sub Simpson 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Moore, Wright, Balkestein, Bignall

Bookings: Bean (29 mins) (sixth of season), Saunders (49 mins), Alexander (59 mins (fifth of season)

Attendance: 8,636

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports