Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 11 Apr 11 at 13:56 PM


Relegation-threatened Swindon Town gave their survival hopes a boost with a 1-0 victory at Griffin Park.

The Wiltshire side had shown a very defensive outlook for most of the first 70 minutes, steadily increasing their attacking play as time ticked by.

And Calvin Andrew smashed in a winner with ten minutes left to ensure their plan worked to perfection.

Swindon started with Jonathan Douglas sat at the base of a five-man midfield and throughout the first period they were happy to leave six or seven men behind the ball.

It lead to a soporific opening 45 minutes, Brentford pushed men on - Marcus Bean playing a very attacking central midfield role - but they struggled to breach Swindon's white wall.

Jeffrey Schlupp probably had the best chance of the half when Gary Alexander robbed Paul Caddis and played him in but the young striker shot wide with goalkeeper Phil Smith rushing out.

Adam Reed had a shot blocked, with appeals it hit the arm of Lecsinel Jean-François, and Alexander had a pair of efforts blocked by Andrew Frampton.

Brentford did have the ball in the net when Bean fired high past Smith after a nice Schlupp lay-off but the assistant referee had his flag up for offside.

Andrew was ploughing a lone furrow up front for Swindon but he was able to bring his side in to the game on occasions.

He miss-hit when in front of goal as he tried to turn in an Alan Sheehan cross and another ball by the left back caused Brentford difficulties when Simon Moore missed his punch.

Andrew had Swindon's best chance of the first period when he shot wide from 18 yards and Sam Saunders had a late shot blocked but the half ended goalless and with little for either stopper to worry about.

The visitors did show a bit more after the break - with the away fans bellowing "attack, attack, attack" - and Jon-Paul McGovern lifted an early effort wide as they sought the opening goal.

Moore saved from Douglas soon after but Brentford had the better of the early stages of the second half.

Leon Legge headed over and Smith saved a curling free kick from Saunders before Craig Woodman blasted over from another free kick, this one awarded inches outside the penalty area when Bean appeared to have been fouled inside.

There was a bizarre incident midway through the second half when substitute Lewis Grabban looked set to beat Smith to a weak Frampton back pass - Smith stopped the ball with his hands, seemingly outside the area, but referee Bobby Madley allowed the game to go on, Grabban was forced wide and the chance was gone.

With time ticking down, Swindon started to discover their sense of adventure - Sheehan curled a free kick well over and then brought a save out of Moore with a powerful shot, Legge reacted quickly to block Douglas' attempt from the re-bound.

Legge blocked again from Alassane N'Diaye soon after but Swindon scored the winner with ten minutes remaining.

Andrew brought the ball down on the edge of the penalty area, and smashed a left footed shot past Moore and into the bottom corner.

The striker smacked a shot against the crossbar soon after but with the lead secured, Swindon once again invited Brentford to break them down.

Grabban headed over after Smith had flapped at a Saunders corner but Swindon largely saw the game out comfortably.

Brentford: Moore; Neilson, Legge, Balkestein, Woodman; O'Connor; Reed, Bean (sub Wood 68 mins), Saunders; Alexander (sub Weston 82 mins), Schlupp (sub Grabban 68 mins)

Subs (not used): Carson, Spillane, Osborne, Byrne

Bookings: Legge (72 mins) (ninth of season)

Swindon Town: Smith; Caddis, Frampton, Jean-François, Sheehan; Douglas; McGovern (sub Rose 83 mins), Prutton, Timlin (sub N'Diaye 67 mins); Ritchie; Andrew

Subs (not used): Jesionkowski, Cuthbert, Ferry, Benyon, Bodin

Bookings: Jean-François (62 mins), Andrew (80 mins)

Attendance: 4,593 (685 away fans)

Please note the away attendance has been adjusted from the figure initially published.

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports