Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 26 Apr 11 at 08:25 AM


Jeffrey Schlupp struck a 96th minute equaliser to give Brentford a share of the spoils in another controversial encounter against Notts County.

Games between The Bees and The Magpies in recent years have been full of incident - red cards, disputed penalties and late goals, and this one was no exception.

The hosts were awarded two hotly-disputed penalties, the first - saved by Simon Moore - baffling to almost everyone in the ground.

They took the lead when Lee Hughes scored the second but Schlupp gave Brentford a well-deserved point.

Notts County, still needing points to ensure they are not relegated, flew out of the blocks.

They had early efforts at goal without really testing Moore - Karl Hawley had a shot deflected wide and then an other blocked by Wood.

The same man completed a trio of shots inside the first four minutes by firing wide but County's early storm was weathered and Brentford assumed a level of control.

They certainly had the better chances in the first period and would have gone in at the break thinking they should have been ahead.

After a great break down the right by Robbie Simpson, helped by the harrying of Myles Weston, Lewis Grabban's first time volley was superbly saved by Stuart Nelson and the re-bound from the Brentford striker drifted narrowly wide.

Grabban lifted an effort over soon after before Sam Wood had a volley deflected wide and Simpson nodded a corner narrowly past the post.

Sam Saunders and Marcus Bean had shots blocked and Wood blasted wide but neither goalkeeper was particularly over-worked in the first half.

In the dying seconds of the half, Hawley shot wide and Nelson saved a weak Simpson effort.

Alan Judge curled an effort wide for the hosts early in the second half but Brentford continued to have the better of it.

Grabban had a great chance when he capitalised on a Mike Edwards error and raced clear - his second touch took him wide and from a tight angle his effort rolled across the face of goal with no-one to tap home.

Edwards had a weak header from a free kick saved before Nelson got down very well to keep out a low Schlupp drive and Saunders flicked a header wide.

Schlupp's introduction gave Brentford an added dimension and they looked the team most likely to win the game as it entered the final 15 minutes but The Bees reckoned without the intervention of referee David Foster and his assistant Paul Hobday.

Bean headed a Weston cross inches wide after good work from Schlupp but the game swung County's way soon after.

Robbie Neilson appeared to be fouled in the centre of the pitch but referee Mr Foster allowed play to go on and Craig Westcarr fired in a shot that cannoned into Karleigh Osborne's face.

Inexplicably, Mr Hobday signalled for a penalty while Osborne lay flat out, appearing to be concussed by the ball smacking him between the eyes.

Westcarr stepped up but Moore ensured justice was done when he saved superbly to his left.

But that was not the end of the controversy.

Judge sent over a corner a few minutes later and Edwards headed down, Mr Foster adjudicated that Simpson's block was with his arm rather than his chest and again pointed to the spot.

This time Hughes stepped up and his scuffed penalty down the middle as Moore dived to his right.

In between times, Osborne made a vital tackle when Hughes appeared to be through but the defender, obviously feeling the effects of a ball in the face, was withdrawn soon after.

County retreated, happy to sit on their lead, but it was to be their undoing.

Home manager Martin Allen was sent off for kicking the ball away from Kevin O'Connor as he attempted to move the game on and soon after Mr Foster signalled six minutes of stoppage time, perhaps adding an additional minute for the time taken to send Allen to the stand.

The home side were camped on the edge of the box but Brentford opened them up.

Saunders threaded the ball into the inside left channel, Schlupp skipped past a lumbering Sam Sodje and fired low past Nelson to send the visiting supporters into raptures and leave the game level.

Notts County: Nelson; Darby, Pearce (sub Burgess 59 mins), Edwards, Chilvers, Harley; Bishop, Judge (sub Sodje 85 mins); Brandy (sub Westcarr 23 mins); Hughes, Hawley

Subs (not used): Burch, Thompson, Spicer, Demba-Nyren

Bookings: Chilvers (45 mins), Bishop (52 mins), Westcarr (66 mins)

Brentford: Moore; O'Connor, Osborne (sub Spillane 86 mins), Neilson, Wood; Saunders, Bean, Diagouraga, Weston; Simpson, Grabban (sub Schlupp 66 mins)

Subs (not used): Royce, Byrne, Reeves, Reed

Booking: Bean (52 mins) (eighth of season), Simpson (62 mins) (second of season), Saunders (75 mins) (second of season), O'Connor (75 mins) (second of season), Moore (82 mins), Wood (90 mins (third of season)

Attendance: 6,879 (317 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports