Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 May 11 at 18:29 PM


An end-of-season encounter turned into a match to live long in the memory as Brentford travelled to Huddersfield Town and left with a point in a 4-4 draw.

The Bees trailed 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3 in a rip-roaring match but came back to take a point thanks to two goals from Jeffrey Schlupp and a pair from Lewis Grabban.

There were six goals within 23 minutes either side of half time and both teams went looking for a winner in the final 20 minutes.

It wasn't a match for the defences but provided full value for more than 13,000 inside The Galpharm Stadium.

Brentford started well and could have been ahead inside the first three minutes - Peter Clarke had to make a fine block to deny Grabban and Ian Bennett made a decent save from a Myles Weston volley.

Danny Ward shot just wide after cutting inside while Clarke, who held the Huddersfield defence together on his own at times, made another important block, this time to deny Schlupp.

Joey Gudjonsson fired wide from distance and Grabban flicked a header wide before Ward, slowly emerging as the host's most dangerous player, brought a low save from Simon Moore.

And it was Ward who gave the home side a two-goal advantage in the space of 90 seconds around the 15 minute mark.

He opened the scoring when he picked up a Marcus Bean pass, accelerated towards the box and then drilled low past Moore from 18 yards.

And within two minutes Ward again found space, he moved forward shot from 20 yards, Moore got hands to it but the ball bounced out of his grasp and in to the net.

If The Bees were shell-shocked by that double burst they didn't show it - they continued to press Huddersfield back and try to find a way back in to the game.

Schlupp and Grabban were constantly turning Clarke and Jamie McCombe and with the probing of Sam Saunders and the pace of Weston, Brentford created chances

Bennett saved a Bean header before Gudjonsson made a superb block from a powerful shot from the Brentford stand-in captain.

Benik Afobe headed wide for Huddersfield but Brentford were having the better chances.

Bean let fly from 35 yards and Bennett was forced to tip wide at full stretch at the second attempt.

Saunders curled an effort wide and then picked out a brilliant pass that set Grabban free, the striker placed an effort narrowly wide from 22 yards.

Brentford had the ball in the net soon after when Grabban, Schlupp and Saunders created a shooting opportunity for Bean, Bennett got down well to keep out the shot and when Grabban poked the loose ball home, the assistant referee had his flag raised for offside.

Bennett denied Bean again soon after before Gudjonsson shot wide and Moore got down well to prevent Ward completing a first half hat-trick.

Brentford got the goal their first half show deserved in first half stoppage time - Robbie Neilson's powerful header turned the home defence, Schlupp beat Clarke to the ball and rolled it neatly past Bennett and in to the corner.

The Bees continued in the same vein after the break - Bean shot over at the near post from a Saunders corner and five minutes after the re-start they were level.

Weston, who was posing the home defence numerous problems, skinned Gary Naysmith, he accelerated towards the box before slipping it through to Schlupp, the striker didn't have to break stride before slotting past Bennett.

Brentford had worked incredibly hard to get level, and fully merited it, but Huddersfield regained the lead within seconds.

Ward again was involved, he found space for a shot 20 yards out and when Moore palmed it out, Lee Novak - who had only been on as substitute for two minutes - slotted it back past him in to the top corner.

But Brentford refused to be bowed - Michael Spillane had a header deflect wide and Saunders clipped the crossbar with a cross-cum-shot and they were level again five minutes after going behind.

Bennett was at fault this time, he horrible sliced a clearance from a back pass and Grabban reacted quickest to slot the loose ball home.

However, The Bees were only on terms for five minutes.

Ward put the ball in from the left and Afobe brought the ball down six yards out and lashed it under Moore and in to the net.

Saunders curled a free kick narrowly over and Neilson diverted another free kick wide but Brentford were level again midway through the second period.

Schlupp beat McCombe to the ball on the right, his reverse pass found the marauding Nathan Byrne, the loanee lifted the ball across and Grabban volleyed in.

Although that completed the scoring, it wasn't the end of the action.

Weston had a volley blocked and Saunders curled a free kick inches over before Moore saved well from Scott Arfield at the other end.

Weston curled a free kick narrowly over soon after but Huddersfield ended strongly.

Jack Hunt shot wide after cutting inside, Byrne headed a Clarke effort off the line before the central defender headed over.

Moore saved well from Ward and Bennett denied Grabban in stoppage time but neither team could find the ninth goal.

Huddersfield finished the season in third and will go in to the play-offs while The Bees end the campaign in 11th.

Huddersfield Town: Bennett; Peltier, McCombe, Clarke, Naysmith; Ward, Arfield, Gudjonsson, Roberts (sub Hunt 62 mins); Afobe (sub Kilbane 74 mins), Rhodes (sub Novak 48 mins)

Subs (not used): Colgan, Kay, Lee, Cham

Bookings: Naysmith (81 mins)

Brentford: Moore; Spillane (sub Byrne 63 mins), Osborne, Neilson, Wood; Saunders, Bean, Diagouraga (sub Reed 74 mins), Weston (sub Reeves 82 mins); Grabban, Schlupp

Subs (not used): Royce, Adams, Oyeleke, Hacker

Bookings: Grabban (38 mins), Neilson (60 mins) (second of season)

Attendance: 13,977

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports