Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 at 16:53 PM


Brentford kicked off their season with a defeat against Carlisle United.

The Bees started slowly and although they improved through the first half they found themselves two down at the break.

In the second period the game was more even, and Brentford had plenty of chances, but the home defence could not be breached.

Carlisle started extremely quickly and could have been a couple ahead inside the first ten minutes.

Young defender James Chester looped a header onto the crossbar when completely unmarked four minutes in and James Berrett shot over soon after.

A low Fran├žois Zoko shot found Craig Curran, who forced a save from young goalkeeper Simon Moore and then fired the re-bound against the post.

After a slow start Brentford began to get a grip on the midfield and caused problems in the Carlisle penalty area.

Marcus Bean had a shot blocked and Gary Alexander saw a header deflected wide before Myles Weston show over when a corner was only half cleared.

Brentford appeared to have control of proceedings, or at least had stopped Carlisle's dominance, but midway through the half they fell behind.

A cross from the left went through the entire Brentford back line before reaching Gary Madine at the far side, the striker brought the ball down and slotted in with aplomb.

Nicky Forster had a header saved at the other end and Carlisle stopped Adam Collin had to make a fine low save when a Kevin O'Connor free kick was deflected and appeared to be arrowing towards the corner.

Michael Spillane headed a Weston cross over from close range and Collin saved from Alexander as Brentford started to press forward.

But Carlisle, with three men in the centre of midfield, were always a threat and Brentford were never truly on top.

A low Berrett cross-cum-shot was cleared deep inside the six yard box and Sean McDaid shot over.

Tom Taiwo should haver doubled the lead but blazed over from 18 yards before Craig Woodman shot wide from long range at the other end.

Seconds before the break Carlisle got the goal that gave them a match-winning lead.

O'Connor was penalised for a trip on Curran just inside the box and Ian Harte send Moore the wrong way from the penalty spot to give the Cumbrian side a two goal cushion.

Brentford made a double change at half time, introducing Leon Legge and Robbie Simpson for David McCracken and Michael Spillane, and started the second half well.

Forster shot into the side netting from a good Simpson pass and the new forward then forced a save from Collin with a low shot.

At the other end, Moore saved from Berrett while the same man had a shot deflected over soon after.

Moore saved from Taiwo as Carlisle began to get a grip on things again and Legge made a vital clearance from a Curran header down.

With Simpson starting to have a real influence on the right side, Brentford looked the most likely to get the next goal as the game ticked past the hour mark.

Collin made a superb save from an Alexander shot on the turn after another good Simpson run and Paul Thirlwell flicked an O'Connor free kick narrowly over his own bar.

At the other end, Curran beat Moore to a long kick forward and narrowly headed wide.

Berrett had another curling effort deflected wide but Brentford ended the game in the ascendency.

Alexander headed a Charlie MacDonald cross onto the roof of the net but The Bees ended with ten as Myles Weston limped off with a groin problem.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson almost added a third with a cross-cum-shot that flew wide and Berrett went even closer when he shot against the crossbar from 15 yards after good work by Curran.

Carlisle United: Collin; Simek, Chester, Harte, McDaid; Taiwo, Thirlwell, Berrett; Zoko (sub Bridge-Wilkinson 75 mins); Curran, Madine

Subs (not used): Caig, Murphy, Hurst, Price, Robson, Kane

Brentford: Moore; Osborne, McCracken (sub Legge h/t), Balkestein, Woodman; Spillane (sub Simpson h/t), O'Connor, Bean, Weston; Forster (sub MacDonald 68 mins), Alexander

Subs (not used): Lee, Saunders, Hunt, Wood

Attendance: 5,913

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports