Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 22 Aug 10 at 22:42 PM


Brentford picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw against Swindon Town.

The Bees took an early lead against last season's beaten play-off finalists through an opportunistic Charlie MacDonald strike and had the better of the first quarter of the match, after a slow start.

But Swindon equalised just before half time and although both teams went looking for the winner, spurning plenty of good chances in the process, the game ended all square.

Swindon started the brighter and had a lot of possession in the early stages, with Karleigh Osborne narrowly flicking a Jon-Paul McGovern corner past his own post, but it was Brentford who took the lead with their first attack.

It came out of nothing with a long ball down the Brentford right bouncing back towards David Lucas, Michael Rose attempted to help it on its way but didn't get enough on it and MacDonald nipped in to roll it home.

Swindon had looked fluent before the error but all of a sudden The Bees were flying forward, with Myles Weston particularly influential.

A clever reverse pass by Gary Alexander released the wide man and he sped towards goal, he looked set to double the lead but Lucas was able to divert his effort narrowly wide.

Robbie Simpson looped a header just wide and Craig Woodman lofted a shot onto the roof of the net while at the other end an Alan O'Brien cross dropped to Jonathan Douglas and Leon Legge made a superb tackle to deflect the shot wide as the Swindon skipper prepared to pull the trigger from 15 yards.

Chances continued to come at both ends during an entertaining first 20 minutes but mainly for Brentford - Simpson headed a Woodman corner wide and Weston blazed off target when again finding space on the left.

As the half wore on the midfields began to cancel each other out and chances were fewer - Charlie Austin fired a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal and McGovern curled an effort wide.

And just when it seemed Brentford would go in at half time ahead Swindon levelled.

Rose propelled a long throw into the Brentford box and The Bees didn't deal with it, allowing David Prutton to head home at the far post.

That lead to a frantic final five minutes of the half, with Brentford pushing forward seeking to regain the lead.

McGovern curled a shot over for the hosts but The Bees should have gone in ahead - Simpson created space on the right and MacDonald pout over a cross, Alexander looked set to head in but was shoved in the back and Weston contrived to sky the ball over the bar from four yards.

With referee Steve Rushton failing to point to the spot the chance had gone and the half ended all square.

The second half started in a more even nature, with fewer chances and more midfield attrition.

Alex McCarthy saved from a low Douglas shot and Austin headed wide before Simpson had a header deflected wide from a Woodman corner.

As the game reached the hour mark it began to come back to life, with the end-to-end football that characterised the first half again on show.

David Ball headed over for Swindon while Simpson had a near post effort deflected wide and MacDonald turned a Weston cross wide.

Osborne blocked well from Ball and Austin shot weakly after a nice turn while at the other end Sean Morrison almost presented The Bees a second lead with a diving header that Lucas did very well to prevent being an own goal.

With time ticking on, both teams went looking for a winner, and it lead to a great end to the match.

Austin had a shot blocked and in the ensuing scramble Legge made a superb block from a Douglas shot.

From the breakaway Toumani Diagouraga looked set to release MacDonald but Morrison made a fine tackle.

Alexander almost won it with a header from a Weston cross into the side netting and in the final seconds Vincent Pericard fired inches wide but that was as close as either team came to a late winner as the spoils were shared.

Swindon Town: Lucas; Caddis, Cuthbert, Morrison, Rose (sub Kennedy 59 mins); McGovern, Prutton, Douglas, O'Brien (sub Pericard 78 mins); Austin, Dossevi (sub Ball 60 mins)

Subs (not used): Smith, Ferry, Timlin, Amankwaah

Bookings: Prutton (24 mins), Douglas (43 mins)

Brentford: McCarthy; O'Connor, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Simpson (sub Adams 69 mins), Diagouraga, Bean, Weston; Alexander, MacDonald (sub Forster 85 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, McCracken, Balkestein, Spillane, Hunt

Attendance: 8,132

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports