Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 22 Sep 10 at 01:22 AM


Brentford pulled off an amazing Carling Cup shock as they knocked Premier League Everton out in a Third Round tie at Griffin Park.

The Bees triumphed on penalties to reach the Fourth Round for only the second time in their history.

The home side had levelled through Gary Alexander after Seamus Coleman had given Everton the lead but Charlie MacDonald saw his penalty saved Jan Mucha just past the hour mark.

It seemed as if that would be crucial as although The Bees pushed, and had chances in extra time to win the tie, it went to penalties.

The Bees scored four out of four through Myles Weston, Nicky Forster, Michael Spillane and the redeemed MacDonald.

And when Phil Jagielka fired his spot kick, Everton's fifth, against the post after the outstanding Richard Lee had saved from Jermaine Beckford, The Bees were through

The Premier League quality of Everton was evident at times, in their passing and movement - as well as in their physical application - but the game was more even than respective league positions suggested it should be.

Lee, restored to the team with Ben Hamer cup tied, was the busier goalkeeper for the first half hour - and made some superb saves throughout the 120 minutes - but Everton had some nervy moments and Brentford will feel they deserve their day in the sun for their efforts in a rip roaring cup tie.

The Bees probably started the brighter, and forced the game's first corner, but were behind inside six minutes.

It came from that corner - Kevin O'Connor and Craig Woodman lost the ball between them on the Everton left and within seconds, Yakubu Ayegbeni had room to shoot on the edge of the box, it was weak but Diniyar Bilyaletdinov fed fed Coleman and he slotted home.

Everton, low on confidence after a difficult start in the Premier League, were boosted but it meant any thoughts Brentford had about not going for the jugular went right out the window.

The home side almost equalised within seconds - Alexander curling an effort narrowly over - but Everton could have wrapped the game up within the first 20 minutes.

Marouane Fellaini fired a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal, Bilyaletdinov had a header saved and Pim Balkestein almost scored an own goal when a Leighton Baines cross cannoned off his ankle and rolled just wide.

Jagielka headed wide and Lee saved superbly at the feet of Yakubu but slowly but surely Brentford were fighting back.

Nicky Adams fired a fierce shot inches wide and MacDonald blasted over at the near post after a fine turn.

The Bees rearguard was finding Yakubu hard to handle but the Nigerian did not have his sights lined up on goal, particularly in the first half.

He headed wide from a Bilyaletdinov cross when it seemed easier to score, set up Fellaini, who saw a shot saved, and then burst down the right to create a chance for Leon Osman, but he shot wide under pressure from Balkestein.

The Bees could have been level just before the half hour when Weston raced into space on the left and picked out MacDonald with a cross, but the striker overran the ball and headed over with the cross coming in behind him.

However, the pace and danger of Weston was to prove crucial just before the break.

When Everton lost possession on halfway the wide man raced clear again, this time his cross was deep and Alexander powered a header past the helpless Mucha to level it up.

The Bees had proved their threat and a goal did seem as if it was coming, that it was the equaliser would have angered the Premier League side.

Fellaini flicked an effort against the post and Lee produced a pair of saves from Yakubu.

But it could have been even better for Brentford before the break and worse for a clearly rattled Everton outfit.

Adams raced into space on the right, his cross eventually came to Weston but his low shot was blocked with Toumani Diagouraga screaming for a square ball.

Brentford started the second half as they ended the first - and should have been ahead by the hour.

Diagouraga shot wide early on before Osman flicked a Woodman free kick inches over his own bar and Adams shot wide.

The penalty came on the hour mark - Weston again tormented Coleman, raced past him and won a spot kick when the right back pulled him down.

MacDonald stepped up but Mucha saved his low penalty to his left.

MacDonald almost made immediate amends with a volley from the resulting corner that was cleared off the line.

Lee had to be alert at the other end to save well from a Bilyaletdinov header but MacDonald nearly broke through at the other end, Coleman making a vital tackle as he prepared to shoot from ten yards.

Osman shot wide for the Premier League side, who threw on first team regulars Mikel Arteta and Steven Pienaar as they battled to avoid a cup shock.

The double change seemed to settled to visitors down - they were visibly rocking under the weight of Brentford pressure - and they ended the 90 minutes as the team most likely to get a winner.

Osman looped an effort onto the roof of the net and then headed just over before Lee saved superbly at the feet of Yakubu when a corner dropped five yards out.

The Toffees went even closer when a Sylvain Distin header was cleared off the line by the brilliant Weston while Diagouraga lifted a volley narrowly over soon after.

Everton played the last ten minutes like a team desperate to end the game in regulation time - Arteta pulled a shot wide from the edge of the box and Coleman forced Lee into a superb double save after a dart into the box.

Even in the last seconds of stoppage time before extra time Baines forced Lee into a fine low save.

The extra time period was largely cagey - Everton had more of the ball but with Karleigh Osborne and Balkestein imperious, there were few chances.

Osman shot over and then turned a Coleman cross wide before Nicky Forster flicked a Woodman free kick narrowly over.

Jagielka almost restored Everton's lead at the end of the first half of extra time with a header from a corner that Weston again cleared off the line.

Arteta forced Lee into another great save high to his left from a curling shot before Fellaini headed over and Osman blasted over the bar.

The Bees almost snatched it at the death with a curling Sam Saunders free kick that Mucha palmed away to his right and sent it to spot kicks where the League One side prevailed.

Brentford: Lee; Spillane, Osborne, Balkestein, Woodman; Adams (sub Saunders 68 mins), Diagouraga, O'Connor (sub Bean 96 mins), Weston; MacDonald, Alexander (sub Forster 73 mins)

Subs (not used): Royce, Legge, Wood, Cort

Everton: Mucha; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Bilyaletdinov (sub Arteta 67 mins), Neville, Osman, Gueye (sub Pienaar 67 mins); Fellaini; Yakubu (sub Beckford 99 mins)

Subs (not used): Howard, Silva, Mustafi, Barkley

Booked: Coleman (58 mins), Fellaini (84 mins)

Attendance: 8,961 (1,803 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports