Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 at 23:58 PM


Brentford's FA Cup run ended at the first hurdle as they were knocked out in a First Round replay by Aldershot Town.

The home side struck early on and withstood Brentford's second half pressure to record a win.

The Bees had the more of the ball and dominated territory for most of the game but couldn't find a way to level it up.

Brentford started promisingly - Robbie Simpson curled an effort inches over with his left foot and then fired wide with his right but they were behind within ten minutes.

Glen Little was the architect, picking out a delightful through ball for Wade Small to run on to, he steadied himself and drilled it low past Richard Lee to give the hosts the lead.

Simpson shot wide as Brentford tried to find an immediate response and Lee had to be alert to smother at the feed of Small as he tried to latch on to another through ball.

Sam Wood almost levelled it up when he picked up long Lee kick but he shot narrowly over from 15 yards and Jermaine McGlashan should have made it two at the other end when he volleyed a Small cross over with the goal gaping.

Brentford ended the half strongly, Jamie Young saved low when a drilled Michael Spillane cross took a wicked deflection, Charlie MacDonald had a shot blocked and Leon Legge nodded wide.

Sam Saunders shot over when well placed as Brentford pushed without finding the killer pass.

The visitors continued to hold the upper hand after the break and it seemed a matter of time until they levelled.

They came within a whisker of doing so when MacDonald got to the by-line and cut it back to Simpson who saw his toe-end shot hit the inside of the post and roll along the goal line.

Spillane headed a Saunders corner wide when well placed while at the other end McGlashan shot wide and Lee saved from Anthony Straker.

Aldershot were being pushed back, Brentford were dominating territory and possession but time was slipping away for them.

Saunders curled a free kick inches past the post and Myles Weston went similarly close with a low left foot shot.

But as time ticked on the chances dried up and Straker shot narrowly wide in stoppage time to secure the win.

The Bees couldn't get the crucial goal and their FA Cup run came to an end.

Aldershot Town: Young; Herd, Morris, Jones, Vincent; Guttridge, Straker; McGlashan, Little (sub Harding 70 mins), Morgan; Small (sub Hylton 89 mins)

Subs (not used): Hutchings, Panther, Fortune, Randall, Jackson

Bookings: Harding (73 mins)

Brentford: Lee; Spillane, Legge, Wright, Woodman; Saunders (sub Forster 83 mins), Diagouraga, O'Connor, Wood (sub Weston h/t); MacDonald, Simpson

Subs (not used): Royce, Bush, Hudson, Bean, Hunt

Bookings: Legge (59 mins) (fourth of season)

Attendance: 3,627 (529 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports