Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Aug 11 at 21:57 PM


Two second half goals from Sheffield United handed Brentford their first defeat of the npower League One season at Bramall Lane. After an even first period, the home side moved through the gears after the break and Brentford were unable to respond. Jordan Slew opened the scoring soon after half time and strike partner Richard Cresswell added a second to seal the win. Craig Woodman had an early shot blocked for Brentford but the hosts had the better of the first 15 minutes. Kevin McDonald shot over after a corner was half cleared and Slew shot in to the side netting after bundling his way past Shaleum Logan when a pass in to the middle may have resulted in the opening goal. Karleigh Osborne made an important block from a Nathaniel Mendez-Laing effort after he swapped passes with Stephen Quinn. Brentford grew in to the game and Lecsinel Jean-François made a vital block from a Niall McGinn effort before Gary Alexander nodded narrowly over. The match was more even as half time approached - Quinn shot well over and then brought a low save from Lee after cutting in from the left flank. Neill Collins headed over for the hosts before McGinn curled an effort inches wide from a Jonathan Douglas pass. The Northern Irishman went close again soon after, shooting narrowly wide after bursting from deep. United should have taken the lead seven minutes before the break when Slew found space in the box but Richard Lee saved superbly and Brentford scrambled two follow-up efforts from Cresswell off their line. Steve Simonsen held a low Myles Weston effort and McDonald curled an effort across the face of Lee's goal moments before half time but four minutes after the re-start the home side were ahead. Brentford were caught out by a quick throw in, Cresswell laid it off in to the path of Slew and his deflected effort beat Lee. Matt Lowton thought he'd doubled the lead moments later but the goal was ruled out for handball and Lee had to get down well to keep out another cross-cum-shot from the full back soon soon after. Sam Saunders had a shot saved for the visitors but Brentford were very much on the back foot and Leon Legge made a vital headed block to keep out a powerful Jean-François shot. Douglas volleyed over for Brentford but United made the game safe with 20 minutes remaining. Substitute Lee Williamson and McDonald combined to open Brentford up, Lowton squared it and Cresswell poked it in from close range. Collins headed over soon after but with their two goal lead Sheffield United didn't have to commit men forward and Brentford couldn't break their well-organised defence down. The Bees had plenty of possession in the later stages but failed to create many openings of note. Douglas headed a Reeves cross wide and Simonsen got down well to prevent Charlie MacDonald turning in a Weston cross. The stopper made a fine save from Weston again in stoppage time to ensure his side kept a clean sheet and the points. Sheffield United: Simonsen; Lowton, Collins, Maguire, Jean-François; Mendez-Laing (sub Williamson 67 mins), Montgomery, McDonald, Quinn; Slew (sub Bogdanovic 67 mins), Cresswell Subs (not used): Doyle, Tonne, Long Bookings: Cresswell (77 mins) Brentford: Lee; Logan, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; Weston, Douglas, Reeves, McGinn (sub Saunders h/t); Alexander (sub O'Connor 78 mins), Donaldson (sub MacDonald h/t) Subs (not used): Moore, Eger Bookings: Logan (58 mins), Osborne (77 mins) Attendance: 17,769 By Chris Wickham

    Latest Match Reports